SATA driver slipstreaming

I'm having an absolute nightmare trying to slipsteam SATA drivers into XP. My original OS CD has XP Pro with Service Pack 3, and I've used nLite on a Toshiba Win 7 machine to create a slipstream CD-R with SATA drivers a ThinkPad X201.

The X201 has the Intel Series 5 3400 ACHI / SATA controller (6-port) and I'm using the drivers from the Lenovo website (http://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/downloads/ds014898) which seem to be correct. I run the .exe on the Win7 machine, and unpack the drivers, then start nLite. I select the whole folder for the drivers, then it brings up a list of those created by the exe, including the Series 5 6-port SATA. I only select that individual driver, and burn the slipstream image straight to CD.

The CD boots fine and the installer starts OK, and starts hunting through drivers needed to start the process (Keyboard, USB etc.) but then crashes when it comes to the SATA driver, saying "iaStor.sys is corrupted, press any key to continue" (iaStor.sys being one of the driver files). When you do this, the installer says "Installation has failed, press any key to reboot". 

I've tried downloading a free driver exe and unpacking again, and creating an entire new slipstream disc, but get exactly the same error.

Is there anything I am missing here? I'm getting really frustrated. I tried to do this last year but ran into the same fault, and wound up trying a lightweight XP-like Linux instead, but it just doesn't have the same support for the programs I rely on.

• Tommy changed the title to SATA driver slipstreaming