2008 R2 VPN Config

Ebmm

Hello All,

I am learning all I can about networking and at 48 yrs old, I am beginning college next month for studies in just that. In the meantime, I'm trying to learn all I can on my own, as well as apply as much as possible to a hands on experience.

A couple days ago I configured Windows Server 2008 R2 for Active Directory, DHCP, DNS, and File Services roles within my home network of 3 machines and two devices; successfully too.......

What I am attempting to do is set up a VPN to enable a select few family members to some of my media. I have installed Networking Policy and Access Services including Routing and Remote Access. Beginning the configuration, selecting VPN & NAT, I come to the decision of what interface to use. This is where I'm stuck.

This server is on a laptop with only 1 LAN and 1 WLAN connection. The installed roles (mentioned above) use the local area connection that's assigned a static IP outside the DHCP pool used for the domain users. It's connected to a home user type router/WAP with which DHCP is disabled.

The other listed is the WLAN which states DHCP yet does not show up in ipconfig /all. Should I use the interface that all else is on or the wireless? If wireless, do I have to config the router to assign a IP to the wireless or use static? Why is the wireless interface not showing up in ipconfig or the router?

I know this is newbie stuff yet any help would be greatly appreciated.