Security Center

Troubled67

I have a problem with a windows 7 64 bit laptop.

I try to open the Security centre and see " Action Center unable to turn on"  and when I click the turn on tab  by it  I get " Security center service can't be started".

Can anybody help me?

Thanks for your Quick reply.

Yes the laptop had a virus. I cleaned it up with a Malware program and Ccleaner. The laptop now works fine  except for this Action Center Thing and the system restore points in Ccleaner will not show. There are system restore points available as normal but will not come up in Ccleaner. The Malware program cleared about 7 PUPS but I have deleted them all and I can not remember their names. I have also a concern with some up dates failing to install but I do not know if this is related to my problem. The laptop was given to me to look at by my daughter. The virus was showing up and informing me to call this number for help. It has now gone after I cleaned up and as I say the laptop is OK.  Should I just try a system restore?

I suspected as much. There are some viruses that will replace the Action Center so it can show a fake version of it. Sometimes the antivirus or anti-malware software does the task of removing the infection but does not revert all changed that were made. Do you have the log file or the name of the virus that was removed?

Hi Tripredacus.

As I said before I did not take note of the name of the virus that I'm sure would have been helpful for its proper removal.

I did try 2 times a system restore, they both failed to take. I  saved  my daughters pictures and did a complete new reinstall. Everything has come back as normal except for a few drivers that I need to find and download from SONY.

Good luck and many thanks for your input