Windows 2000 UR2/UURollup

As a fellow "Windows 2000 enthusiast," at this junction, I am very disappointed to see that the archive containing the Windows 2000 un-official updates on "http://windows2000.tk"have been removed. 

Personally, I am running the latest weekly edition of UURollup, Update Rollup 2 plus the compliment of Windows Updates BEFORE installing these. 

I am even in the process (still, actually) of writing a guide to completely updating Windows 2000, and also analysing day-to-day usability of the OS from my own standpoint, and that of others. 

If this project has had the plug pulled, it represents a very sad time for the Windows 2000 community. While many argue Windows XP is only slightly different, I personally find Windows 2000 to offer a better performance platform and less niggles, for the most part. XP on some systems just doesn't quite work.

The system I am using pushes a Pentium 4 Northwood @ 2.8GHz, a 256MB nVidia PCI FX5500, 512mb of RAM and a 130GB HD. I can watch 480p YouTube without problem.

The system has worked exceptionally when I put it on test watching "Live Streams," that is, a community of persons around the globe  (mostly US continent)  who put together playlists of music (mostly pre-1980s stuff), engage in interesting computer-related banter and so on. The video quality here is somewhere around 240p - 360p in terms of YouTube. Perhaps less.

Even so, the system has held up EXCEPTIONALLY well with Opera 12.02, Firefox 24ESR and Firefox 10ESR.

Last year, after some spectacular bickering with a school IT staff, I took the Windows 2000 PC to my desk (being a remote-studies student) and used it for several weeks, "just for Firefox." My Macbook was used for the online lessons, as the USB headset refused to play ball. Nonetheless, it was perfectly suited to office work, and worked long days for me in the classroom environment. I was impressed. 

Sure, I can use newer OS', and I often do. Although, I do have a soft spot for older OS'. I even found a way to shoehorn Mac OS X Snow Leopard onto my Late-2011 Macbook Pro (13"). 

Is there no-one who has decided to take upon the task of mirroring this resource, or at least finding some other means of hosting the content? Surely there is interest at this point, we do have the folks at Longhorn.ms providing the OS and everything! 

Just so everyone knows, I hate to complain, but was really shocked this evening to see a thread on another discussion board where someone noted they couldn't find the Un-Official software. I was able to dig up some of my own. 

Maybe you should have only some patience, I believe a lot of things are in the works:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/156521-unofficial-sp-52-for-microsoft-windows-2000/page-32

Or maybe it's just what was expected :dubbio::

https://web.archive.org/web/20121113211942/http://www.windows2000.tk/

Update Rollup 2

UR2 is a cumulative rollup of almost all official updates and hotfixes by request (HBRs). There are around 260 packages integrated in it. It covers system updates, MSXML updates and Script 5.7 with updates. IE/OE and WMP updates are not included. The rollup requires Service Pack 4 and Update Rollup 1 to be present and can be either installed manually in a running system or slipstreamed using HFSLIP. At the moment only ENU version of UR2 is available. Other language versions shall be ready shortly.

Update Rollup 2 is complementary to UURollup. Update Rollup 2 (ENU) will become obsolete when USP5.2 is ready

jaclaz

Maybe you should have only some patience, I believe a lot of things are in the works:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/156521-unofficial-sp-52-for-microsoft-windows-2000/page-32

Or maybe it's just what was expected :dubbio::

https://web.archive.org/web/20121113211942/http://www.windows2000.tk/

Update Rollup 2

UR2 is a cumulative rollup of almost all official updates and hotfixes by request (HBRs). There are around 260 packages integrated in it. It covers system updates, MSXML updates and Script 5.7 with updates. IE/OE and WMP updates are not included. The rollup requires Service Pack 4 and Update Rollup 1 to be present and can be either installed manually in a running system or slipstreamed using HFSLIP. At the moment only ENU version of UR2 is available. Other language versions shall be ready shortly.

Update Rollup 2 is complementary to UURollup. Update Rollup 2 (ENU) will become obsolete when USP5.2 is ready

jaclaz

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am looking forward to the day that USP5.2 does become available. As of yet, I have not seen or heard anything in regards to it.

So it seemed somewhat concerning as to why the Website had been altered to remove accessibility to the old USP, the current UURollup and so on. Even using the "archived" site I added to my bookmarks only back in May/June of this year results in 404 Errors. Google's index lists only three results for the "windows2000.tk" domain. 

As late of last year, the UURollup package was still being maintained. It is (seemingly) the most-relevant package amongst all the unofficial updates as of August 2015. 

I have removed some of the older content from my website as it was outdated and no longer supported.

1. The Download Archive is still available. It's just been reorganised a little bit. You can still find there all official updates and some unofficial packages such as different releases of UURollup, etc. At the moment the URL is not listed separately but you can access it using the links posted above by jaclaz (note: you will find the URL on my website too if you search for "download archive" as several updates link to it).

2. When it comes to UURollup, for the time being I would suggest to switch to blackwingcat's kernel packages if you want to have access to the latest improvements. I'll try to provide an updated UURollup package in the near future but it may take some time.

3. Update Rollup 2 was discontinued long time ago. You shouldn't really use any more. If you want fully updated Windows 2000 I would suggest to use HFSLIP 2000 with my list of updates to prepare an updated Windows 2000 installation and then install UURollup / BWC kernel in the running system. You can use my pre-packaged HFSLIP archive if you don't want to download all of the updates and hotfixes one by one (note: the package is English only).

Edited by tomasz86

Well, I'm relieved things are still progressing :D

Apologies if it came across as whining. I used your site as the main point of reference for the updates, and the recent changes took me by surprise. 

• 9 months later...

Hey there, just for you to know, if those link has *disappeared*, I have found an alternate link by a Chinese person. 

Link : http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=1799980475&uk=942641413&adapt=pc&fr=ftw#path=%2FWin2000%20%E5%81%9C%E6%AD%A2%E6%94%AF%E6%8C%81%E5%90%8E%E7%9A%84%E8%A1%A5%E4%B8%81%2FWin2000%E5%85%BC%E5%AE%B9%E5%86%85%E6%A0%B8

Just need to scroll down, and you will see the UURollup2-ENU.

Credit to that Chinese person !

(in case of no idea how to download, just reply to me.)

Edited by InTheUpdate

2 hours ago, InTheUpdate said:

Hey there, just for you to know, if those link has *disappeared*, I have found an alternate link by a Chinese person. 

Link : http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=1799980475&uk=942641413&adapt=pc&fr=ftw#path=%2FWin2000%20%E5%81%9C%E6%AD%A2%E6%94%AF%E6%8C%81%E5%90%8E%E7%9A%84%E8%A1%A5%E4%B8%81%2FWin2000%E5%85%BC%E5%AE%B9%E5%86%85%E6%A0%B8

Just need to scroll down, and you will see the UURollup2-ENU.

Credit to that Chinese person !

(in case of no idea how to download, just reply to me.)

As the author of the two packages I would just like to clarify a few things.

1. UURollup (Unofficial Update Rollup) is a rollup of various unofficial updates (created by people like BlackWingCat, WildBill, acus, me and others) and also many Microsoft-made components (new VC++ libraries, etc.) which otherwise would not be available for Windows 2000. UURollup is still maintained (although has not been updated for some time) and available to download from my Archive.

2. Update Rollup 2 (not UURollup 2) was an unofficial rollup of most official updates and hotfixes released after the official Update Rollup 1 which basically means between 2005 and 2010 when Windows 2000 became EOL. It was not available in all languages and there were a few issues with it, too difficult to fix, thus I decided to stop developing it. If you slipstream the updates and hotfixes with HFSLIP you will get the same effect (actually better considering the bugs) as long as you use the updates lists from my website.

I would strongly recommend not using Update Rollup 2 at all and especially not downloading it from unknown sources. Even if there is no malware or such, the files may just be corrupted and neither I nor anyone else will be able to provide any help with potential issues or instabilities.

Edited by tomasz86