Security Update Cd

Well, my email from MS said it'd take 3-8 business days. Today is the tenth. But hey it is free and it finally arrived.

Two cds are inside and easy to use for even the most computer illiterate. You agree to the TOS and then it will automatically install for you.

The first cd installs will be IE6, DirectX9, WMP9 and other software. It will install all the security patches and updates, and when it's done with certain items it will allow 15 seconds until a reboot. So this is pretty much an unattended cd. I estimated that the total duration of updating time, with the four reboots was appx. ten minutes. All in all, since I'm on dialup I found this to be very helpful since I had to say no to some updates due to the size of 30mb+ when online. They do however recommend you sign up for their Security Newsletter and check the Windows Update site for "any new updates since the cd release."

The second cd offers free antivirus for one year and a free firewall for fifteen days.

EZTrust Antivirus is the AVS software, and the firewall is EZTrust Firewall, but upon examination it's actually a limited trial of ZoneAlarm Pro with EZTrust labels slapped all over it.

Overall and since it is a free cd it's very much so worth getting.

Edit: I'm running Windows ME and I just noticed that they changed a registry string. My WinME now reads as 4.90.3000A where before there was no A.

Tarun

Note: Adding on. I will gladly strip through the cd and do more reseach on it should anyone have any questions.

I noticed when it installed IE6 with SP1, that it removed the patch that I had downloaded for a critical flaw in IE, a 2.8Mb file which I had to redownload.