Home Edition hangs on startup

CarloPel

Issue:
    Windows Vista Home Premium Edition does not boot.  The green scrolling status bar remains forever.  When I run the NeoSmart EasyRe disk, it fixes the MBR and then Windows WILL boot up OK.  However, at the next reboot, it reverts back to the scrolling bar again and will not boot again.

Situation:
    NO new software was installed; no hardware was installed;  I believe Windows did an automatic update, however I cannot confirm it.
    I've done a complete back-up of files.

Tried fixes:
    Chkdsk to look for bad sectors. None found.
    Memory tests:  Did find  some issues, but cannot determine what part or type of memory is affected.
    System restore:  restored to one month prior to issue.  Did not resolve the problem.

Questions:
1.    When the MBR gets repaired, Windows boots OK, so I am assuming that the issue is happening when Windows shuts down, and writes something(?) back to the HD.  What would it write that the EasyRE disk would fix ??

2.  If I try and run traces, will it work if Windows doesn't boot up again until after I fix the MBR?

Thanks for any info...

Carlo

Does this sound familiar?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/vista-32-bit-will-not-boot-past-logo-progress-bar/12efa828-1894-4b97-8fc7-8e49229162b8

Same advice given here -

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/vista-will-not-boot-stuck-on-progress-bar-with-ms/e53a0913-3786-4232-a369-a8b5e982d1c2

And (maybe) here -

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/windows/en-US/6f30e0d1-5ed1-41df-a72f-287af5394e77/windows-vista-hangs-on-ms-copyright-and-green-scroll-bar

Seems you've already tried that. :huh:

Can you get into Safe Mode? There's a reference to a Zune update not installing. Google this

"vista sp2 mbr update"
(with quotes). After you "repair" your MBR next time, look at the Updates Log (can't remember offhande where it's at ATM) and see if anything failed to install.

HTH...

Unfortunately, most of those links refer to things I have already tried.   I have not been able to get to Safe mode yet, but I am still trying, but not too hopeful.  If I can get to Last Known Good Configuration, I am hoping that will restore whatever is corrupted.

Not sure what the reference to a Zune upgrade is about - I have no such update nor software installed.

Uhhhh....

1.    When the MBR gets repaired, Windows boots OK
After you "repair" your MBR next time, look at the Updates Log (can't remember offhande where it's at ATM) and see if anything failed to install.
Sooo, that's not possible?

• 2 weeks later...

Tried fixes:

Chkdsk to look for bad sectors. None found.

Memory tests:  Did find  some issues, but cannot determine what part or type of memory is affected.

System restore:  restored to one month prior to issue.  Did not resolve the problem.

Questions:

1.    When the MBR gets repaired, Windows boots OK, so I am assuming that the issue is happening when Windows shuts down, and writes something(?) back to the HD.  What would it write that the EasyRE disk would fix ??

2.  If I try and run traces, will it work if Windows doesn't boot up again until after I fix the MBR?

No, the trace analysis will not work.

Memory tests indictae an issue? Which memory tests?

Most likely bad RAM, is it under warranty? I suggest memtest86+ if you haven't tried to do so already.