Corrupted Servicing Database

NoelC

I had installed Win 10 Enterprise x64 TP the day it first came out, installed all my apps, tweaked it up, and had a nicely running system.

But it never would pass an SFC check.  Nor would DISM fix it via the traditional means.

Updates to the latest builds as they came out made no difference in this issue, though otherwise the system performed nominally.  It was stable.

More recently - a few days after the installation of build 9879 - it started demanding activation, even though it had already been activated with the product code provided by Microsoft.  Every few hours it would pop up a full-screen message requesting I visit the PC Settings App and activate.  No reactivation nor reentry of the product code would succeed.  Because of Microsoft's ridiculous dumbing-down, the message is "Windows can't activate right now" and gives no idea why.  What's in the Event Log is no better.

So I just tossed that VM and installed a brand spanking new system using the Win 10 (non-Enterprise) ISO image for build 9879.  Sure enough, the servicing database is corrupted right out of the box.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/getfile/578528

That's just shoddy work.

-Noel

Thanks, Andre.

I wasn't really looking for a detailed analysis (the log is thick with errors), but if you'd like to scout around, please be my guest.

Here are the specifics:

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/Win10/CBS.zip

The general form of most errors is:

2014-12-13 20:20:26, Error                 CSI    000010e0 (F) Failed on regenerating file [l:58{29}]"DefaultWsdlHelpGenerator.aspx"[gle=0x80004005]

2014-12-13 20:20:26, Info                  CSI    000010e1 [sR] Cannot repair member file [l:58{29}]"DefaultWsdlHelpGenerator.aspx" of NetFx4-defaultwsdlhelpgenerator_aspx, Version = 4.0.9879.0, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope neutral, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:b03f5f7f11d50a3a}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file cannot be decompressed

2014-12-13 20:20:26, Info                  CSI    000010e2 [sR] This component was referenced by [l:160{80}]"Microsoft-Windows-NetFx4-US-OC-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.4.9879.0.NetFx4"

Edit:  Didn't Microsoft recently admit to getting something backwards regarding data compression in the Win 10 TP?

Yes, I just found it, the info is in the Insider Hub App, regarding KB3020114...

In build 9879 we introduced some new System Compression code that systems with SSDs can take advantage of to reduce disk usage by the OS. In some cases the logic for low-space detection gets inverted, and we compress automatically as a background operation.

I only mention this because of the note about compression, and the fact that the SFC check is failing with the message "file cannot be decompressed".

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

No doubt that's the strategy we must all follow.  I've submitted it as feedback so far for every build.

Regarding the tenor of my original post...  While I enjoy playing around with pre-release software as much as anyone, why are we seeing such unfinished work?  Who said it's important to release unfinished software to the public?  If they're looking for feedback on usability they ought to be testing it for quality first, and not letting any old bugs out into the world.  Is it an attempt to lower everyone's expectations?  If so, I guess it's working - but that's not a good trend!

The good news is that the new setup I've freshly built and configured now does not repeatedly request reactivation, so I'm past that annoyance at least.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC