Anybody Watching New Show - Ice Lake Rebels

Monroe

I don't expect too many responses ... curious if any members from Canada live near the area. The show just started July 27th on Animal Planet ... Sunday night at 10 pm ... Episode 05 played last night.

A group of people "living off the grid" on house boats at Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories. Some interesting people on the show ... it appeals to me but the cold weather living is a real test. There's a young couple planning to get married in the Spring, there's Molly, 21 ... came back to help her Dad run a B&B on the lake ... I think it sits on the lake but it could be on the shore, there's Pike Mike ... The lake is full of pike and so people catch pike to eat and sell ... must be some other fish there but I only hear talk of pike ... Pike Mike has caught thousands of pike ... so the name, I heard the number 30,000 or something like that in one episode, but it may or not be fact, he's been there awhile so who knows.

From an article: 

"Choosing another kind of lifestyle, these rebels have bid farewell to living life the conventional way on land and traded it in for floating homes and houseboats... Since they don't live on land, they don't pay taxes, and, therefore, no one polices them."

Not really any good web site to link to ... I just put the Google search link here.

http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&source=hp&q=ice+lake+rebels&btnG=Google+Search&gbv=1

Add: Watched Ep 04 again ... it is a "floating" Bed & Breakfast ... now with the filming of this episode in January  2014, the lake ice is six feet thick. Molly and her Dad need water for the B&B.

Edited by monroe

Just a note for anyone interested ... today (Sunday Aug 31) on the Animal Planet channel starting at 5 pm (Eastern Time) they will be running all the "Ice Lake Rebels" episodes ... Eps 01 -05 and then at 10 pm will be the new Ep 06.

The first four episodes will get all the people and problems introduced about living in an extreme cold environment.

Found this recent link posted  2 days ago ... the young couple have married and it was warm summer when the article was written.

Live Free & (Maybe) Die: 'Ice Lake Rebels' Stars Reveal Dangers, Joys of Frozen Life

August 29, 2014

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/visiting-the-stars-of-animal-planets-ice-lake-rebels-96065430057.html

As a fan of Animal Planet’s new docu-series “Ice Lake Rebels,” which follows a group of houseboat-dwelling survivalists as they brave a typically brutal winter 250 miles south of the Arctic Circle, I encountered two things I hadn’t expected when I visited a couple of the show’s cast members in Canada’s Northwest Territories. One was the sunny, postcard-ready 70-degree weather instead of the white, frozen landscape depicted on the show.

Edited by monroe