Spool32 is OK - Want to Enable/Disable

HoppaLong

If you started with computers before the graphical interface or GUI, that may be
one good reason for keeping a copy of 98SE. I've got diagnostic software (for
electronic testing) that was created when 98SE was at its peak.

I created several batch files that run in the root before 98 starts, and scripts that
are moved in and out the Startup folder.

Two processes that I don't need most of the time are systray.exe and spool32.exe.
Disabling these two at startup reduces the load and has no negative effects.

Recently, I installed the virtual printer CutePDF Writer. If spool32 is disabled, I've got
to reboot. It's incredibly easy to terminate spool32, but running this process without
a reboot is not easy!

I tried varies Run and DOS commands without success. There is a tiny applet from
www.nirsoft.net called Explorestart. It terminates explorer.exe and immediately
restarts explorer. Useful if your system slows down or is about to completely freeze
up. If explorer.exe can be killed off and restarted without a reboot, it must be possible
with spool32.exe.

There probably is an applet that will reload one or more system processes without a reboot.
I know all the commands for "restarting" 98. In my system a restart is slower than a reboot.

Edited by HoppaLong

Funny, I just killed spool32.exe from within CodeStuff Starter (not that it matters) and restarted it instantly seconds later through Start > Run > spool32 > [ENTER]. Actually it was also from within Starter, through right-cick in Processes list > New, which opens the Run dialog, so it's pretty much the same.

I have a short AHK (AutoHotkey Basic) script that kills the Lexmark drivers and spool32 on every boot to save memory. Some applications have the bad habit of restarting the printer drivers so I keep a shortcut to that script on the desktop and use it when needed. I'm not a Batch fan at all. An AHK script could start the spool32 process without problems using the 'Run' command (just tested a minute ago):

Run spool32.exe