Adding Videos To Vista Start Menu?

11ryanc

I would like to link the Videos folder to my Vista Start Menu. In the past I have done similar tasks before via reg key replacing the Run dialogue with Search, so I am assuming something similar could be done adding My Videos/Videos? Seen tutorials online before on substituting the Games Explorer with Vids, but that too is something that I commonly use. So don't see any benefit there in my case. If anything Printers is something I'd probably least need, so I'm looking into perhaps replacing that in favor of Videos.

Any ideas on how this can be done?

• 2 months later...

The only (confirmed) method would be to drag your "Videos" folder to your start orb and pin it under your Internet and Email Program links. There's no way to replace 'Printers' that I know of as that is an actual Control Panel applet and you can't put anything in there because Vista uses this to show the installed printers. The only items that I know of that you could change are Documents, Pictures, or Music. The rest are control panel applets and cannot be changed.  

EDIT: Looks like there is a way, but you'll have to sacrifice your Games link: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/add-your-videos-folder-to-vista-start-menu-by-replacing-games/

Or if you don't use the Favorites folder, you can rename that to 'Videos' and use it as well. I'm pretty sure IE is the only browser that uses this to store favorites by default, so if you don't use IE it shouldn't be of any use. ;)

Or, you could Right click on the 'Favorites' link, click Properties, Click the "location" tab, and click "Move" and select your videos folder as the new location

Edited by 2008WindowsVista

• 9 months later...

The only (confirmed) method would be to drag your "Videos" folder to your start orb and pin it under your Internet and Email Program links. There's no way to replace 'Printers' that I know of as that is an actual Control Panel applet and you can't put anything in there because Vista uses this to show the installed printers. The only items that I know of that you could change are Documents, Pictures, or Music. The rest are control panel applets and cannot be changed.  

EDIT: Looks like there is a way, but you'll have to sacrifice your Games link: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/add-your-videos-folder-to-vista-start-menu-by-replacing-games/

Or if you don't use the Favorites folder, you can rename that to 'Videos' and use it as well. I'm pretty sure IE is the only browser that uses this to store favorites by default, so if you don't use IE it shouldn't be of any use. ;)

Or, you could Right click on the 'Favorites' link, click Properties, Click the "location" tab, and click "Move" and select your videos folder as the new location

Interesting. Never thought to redirect the favorites link. That worked well, aside only being able to display itself as a menu and not a clickable link. My Start Menu looks much cleaner now none the less.

Forgive my 10 month late thank you :huh: