Can I use 98SE2ME without IE5.5 (IE6 only)?

nrusef

Hello.

I want to use 98SE2ME without installing IE 5.5. (IE6 only)

Of course shell doesn't boot.

I saw message "shell32.dll decides IE core version" on message board.

but I can't solve that problem yet.....

I don't understand your question. Read this -

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/46349-98se2me-killer-replacements-me-98-se/

...and rephrase your question, please.

Right out of the Installer.

ECHO EXTREMELY IMPORTANT: 98SE2ME works ONLY *IF* AND *WITH*:ECHO * Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222 (A) English MUST be ALREADY installed.ECHO * ALL removable/backup/USB/optical/etc disks/sticks/tapes MUST beECHO ALREADY removed/unplugged UNLESS they contain WinME *.CAB files!ECHO * REQUIRES you to ALREADY have ALL WinME *.CAB files ANYWHERE on yourECHO local disk(s)/partition(s) OR WinME Final/Gold/RTM 4.90.3000 EnglishECHO Setup CD-ROM inside your 1st CD/DVD drive (if more than 1)!ECHO * Options 1 + 2: MUST have at LEAST 30 MB FREE disk space on your CECHO drive/partition to BACKUP the original Win98 SE system files intoECHO %windir%\WIN98SE.9ME , %windir%\FONTS.9ME , %windir%\SYSTEM.9ME ,ECHO %windir%\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS.9ME , %windir%\SYSBCKUP.9ME +ECHO %windir%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS.9ME (you can select NOT to backup) + at LEASTECHO 60 MB FREE disk space on C to copy the ~ 700 WinME system files intoECHO C:\9S2M during installation.ECHO * MUST close ALL open programs (if any) BEFORE running 98SE2ME!ECHO * Do NOT interrupt the operation of these files NOR run them separatelyECHO to avoid data loss/errors/lockups!ECHO * Option 3 REQUIRES Internet Explorer 5.5 or newer ALREADY installed:ECHO http://www.mdgx.com/toy.htm#IEXECHO * Your original Win98 SE system files will be BACKED UP UNLESS youECHO ALREADY BACKED them UP IF you ALREADY installed options 1 or 2 at leastECHO ONCE BEFORE.ECHO You can select NOT to backup, which is a good idea ONLY IF you haveECHO ALREADY created a BACKUP AND do NOT want to OVERWRITE it.<snip>ECHO 1. Press 1 to install ALL components listed below EXCEPT option 3.ECHO 2. Press 2 to install ONLY ~ 700 WinME system files, USB + Games.ECHO 3. Press 3 to install ONLY WinME Explorer, Shell + UI [separate option].ECHO 4. Press 4 to install ONLY 98SE2ME boot/shutdown Logos.ECHO 5. Press 5 to install ONLY WinME USB, FireWire + Audio WDM drivers.ECHO 6. Press 6 to install ONLY WinME Games: Cards, Pinball + Internet Zone.ECHO 0. Press 0 to EXIT now without installing ANYTHING.ECHO.ECHO * Option 3: DISABLED IF Internet Explorer 5.5 or newer NOT ALREADYECHO installed because MS IE 5.5 or newer REQUIRED by option 3:ECHO http://www.mdgx.com/toy.htm#IEXECHO * Options 1, 2, 3 + 5: Your computer will automatically REBOOT toECHO complete native MS-DOS part of installation and then reload Windows.

I don't understand why you would have any problems. :unsure: Which of the above options are you wanting?

Edited by submix8c