Where is the Media Center on the Windows 7 image?

forovon

I would like to get the Windows 7 Media Center on Windows 8. WHat what I basically wanna try is to extract the media Center files form my Windows 7 Ultimate image and copy/install them on my WIndows 8 Machine. 

I hope you can help me.

Best regards,

forovon :)

I was thinking about extracting the files from the image (the insallation DVD), not from a running system. 

But I will give that a try, even though I think this won't work because of missing registry entries etc..

edit:

Nope, it did not work, but destroyed 12 hours of work (restarted my computer).

Edited by forovon

I have Windows 8 Pro, not 8.1. 
I also don't want to get something for free that would cost me money. 
I have an original Windows 7 Ultimate and I want to extract the Media Center from it. 

I'm not really interested in the Win 8 Media Center. This has many reasons. E.g. all apps I tested so far totally sucked, I can't even run apps because I lately disabled my UAC due to lots of general Win 8 issues and I don't want to pay 10 bucks for something like that. Though I would definitely pay 10 bucks to get the Win 7 Media Center on Win 8.

Edited by forovon

OK, I'm confused.

I have Windows 8 Pro, not 8.1. 
I also don't want to get something for free that would cost me money. 
I have an original Windows 7 Ultimate and I want to extract the Media Center from it. 

I'm not really interested in the Win 8 Media Center. This has many reasons. E.g. all apps I tested so far totally sucked, I can't even run apps because I lately disabled my UAC due to lots of general Win 8 issues and I don't want to pay 10 bucks for something like that. Though I would definitely pay 10 bucks to get the Win 7 Media Center on Win 8.

That's $10 for the Media Center part for Windows 8.0 (NOT 8.1 - the first link indicated that). Are you saying you already HAVE it and it sucks? It's a totally separate license (AFAICT). This implies the Version (8.0 vs 8.1) is irrelevant for Media Center -

http://searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget.com/answer/How-to-add-Windows-81-Media-Center-to-Windows-8-Pro-after-the-fact

I also gave a link to an article indicating that Metro (compatibility) is what prevents anything other than Win8 MC to be used.

Alternatives? :unsure:

http://www.howtogeek.com/132462/5-alternatives-to-windows-media-center-on-windows-8/

Guess you're out of luck (no transplanting a chicken liver to a goose). :(

edit - errr.... an Upgrade of/to Win8 apparently has a MC flaw anyway...

http://heavysoil.net/windows-8-pro-with-media-center-what-a-mess/

Don't work on an Upgrade version of Win8 according to that.

Edited by submix8c

I don't have the Windows 8 Media Center, but since it is a app and not a usual desktop application, I doubt that I would like it. Simply because I've already tested a lot of apps and I hated them all. Also I can't run any apps anymore because I completely disabled the UAC which was necessary to get rid of some other super annoying windows 8 issues. 

So I am not interessted in the WIndows 8 Media Center, even though I've never tried it. Though I wouldn't have a problem with paying for it if I would really want it. But I don't. I want the old Windows 7 Media Center which was a desktop application.  

I'm also not interested in alternatives. I already tried them especially XBMC, but they all have their issues. XBMC for instance is just not made to control it with the mouse and you can totally see that because of the ridiculous mouse pointer implementation. It's laggy, doesn't disappear when moving it out the window. But even if that worked, it has too many other issues. 

I really just want the Windows 7 Media Center and I'm sure there must be a way to get it to work on Windows 8.

Edited by forovon

(sigh...) You didn't read the links, did you?

M-E-T-R-O! Period!

The WMC is NOT an "APP" (duh!), it LITERALLY changes your OS by ADDING the appropriate SOFTWARE, just like the DIFFERENCE between XP Pro and XP MCE and DOES require a brand-spanky-new-key! You CAN NOT add XP MediaCenter to XP Pro either! Why do you think the Media Center is NOT available to lesser Windosw 7? Same reason - Additional Software (DIFFERENT OS Edition) using a different key. It LITERALLY makes it a DIFFERENT EDITION (NOT an "app")!

Give it up, dude, ain't honna happen! Fork over the $10 and "upgrade" from Win8 Pro to Win8 MCE. At least you don't have to reinstall like previous Windows.

HTH and goodbye. :yes: