Request: Compatibility Mode Launcher For 32-bit Windows

ironman14

Hello,

Forgive me if this is the wrong category for posting this kind of thread, but I took my best guess.

I know that this partially exists in Windows 98/ME already, as part of KernelEx. However, while it is useful, KernelEx doesn't allow every app to run. For example: iTunes, apps that falsely claim "not a valid Win32 application".

I was wondering if anyone could create a compatibility mode launcher for the Win32 operating systems. Some of my main targets are: Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT 4.0 and Windows ME. It would be amazing if we could launch apps in Windows 2000,XP,Vista etc. compatibility modes. Something else that I was hoping is that it could stop apps from falsely claiming that they are "not a valid Win32 application" or 

"not a valid Windows NT application".  That is a very prominent issue on Windows NT 4.0.

Thank you for your time.

Hello,

Forgive me if this is the wrong category for posting this kind of thread, but I took my best guess.

I know that this partially exists in Windows 98/ME already, as part of KernelEx. However, while it is useful, KernelEx doesn't allow every app to run. For example: iTunes, apps that falsely claim "not a valid Win32 application".

I was wondering if anyone could create a compatibility mode launcher for the Win32 operating systems. Some of my main targets are: Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT 4.0 and Windows ME. It would be amazing if we could launch apps in Windows 2000,XP,Vista etc. compatibility modes. Something else that I was hoping is that it could stop apps from falsely claiming that they are "not a valid Win32 application" or 

"not a valid Windows NT application".  That is a very prominent issue on Windows NT 4.0.

Thank you for your time.

Kind of like a wine for windows http://www.winehq.org/about/

Yes. However, I wasn't thinking of integration of APIs into it. It may end up as an extension to KernelEx on 98/ME. I am also integrating New DLLS/APIs into NT 4 currently, and also assisting junior600 in this, yet I don't know how to get most applications to run on NT 4.0, as they don't always start, so this potential project could also link with those.

Yes. However, I wasn't thinking of integration of APIs into it. It may end up as an extension to KernelEx on 98/ME. I am also integrating New DLLS/APIs into NT 4 currently, and also assisting junior600 in this, yet I don't know how to get most applications to run on NT 4.0, as they don't always start, so this potential project could also link with those.

Great cant wait for the 9x and the NT 4.0 one. Especially the NT 4.0 one. I cant wait to get back to setting my Netbook for it. About time a little recongiztion to this wounderful little os (at-least to my finding so far ;))

EDIT: I'll be willing to help you some time with in a couple of years, if your still thinking about it. My c++ lesson begin in 4 months, but I'm currently learning 3d modeling and wont be able to shift focus onto two big projects.

Edited by Flasche

Junior600 and I are already integrating W2K/XP APIs into certain applications, so they can run on Windows NT 4.0. We are mainly doing Firefox for now, but I have tried other apps, like VLC,Chrome, Opera, OpenOffice and Thunderbird. I will likely test even more.

If you want to currently use NT 4 without the latest apps:

-IrfanView

Great program for viewing images. Install the plugins and you may also use it as a media player.

-Miranda IM

Open source instant messenger still compatible with NT 4.

-OpenOffice.org 2.4.3

Apps won't natively work, but open vcl680mi.dll in

hex editor and overwrite "EnumDisplayMonitors" with "EnumDesktopsA" and replace extra characters with NULs. Also, I know Java 1.5.05 works on NT 4.0. Other versions may work, but I haven't tried them.

-Flash 9.0.280

Check out Flash 9.0.280 for NT 4 thread.

-Opera 10.63

Web browser that works well on NT 4.0. 90-95% of sites show pretty well.

-Thunderbird 2.0.0.24

Good email client for NT 4.0. If webmail isn't good enough.

By the way, thanks for your offer! If this tool doesn't exist in a couple years, we could make it together if we are still interested. I don't know much about c++, and as far as I know, it is quite complicated. As far as I know, however, you can target the GetVersionEx to display the Windows version, which you could probably also list in the application.

Edited by ironman14