Process randomly stuck waiting for an svchost.exe thread?

Soukyuu

So I've been randomly having a weird issue, namely programs not starting/displaying their window. Going to task manager -> details tab and selecting "view wait chain" shows the process waiting for an svchost.exe thread.

Does anyone have an idea why this could be happening? The program will only start after I

a) restart the pc

B) kill that svchost.exe thread

Choosing B) unsurprisingly leads to weird side effects, for example action center suddenly saying my antivirus is inactive while the antivirus itself says "all green". Might have something to do with that, but I don't see any activity from the antivirus (avast) when the app hangs, and it's not always the same. So far it has happened to 3-4 different programs, so I don't really see a connection.

Any help appreciated.

Do you have more that the basic Shields active with Avast?

I'm not seeing stalls like what you describe, and I only have the 3 Shields active and the one Tool that checks the installation status of various software packages. Plus, I have de-configured the "Deep Screen" feature, as it was downright intrusive, blocking things while it went off to ask the Avast server permission to run this or that.

-Noel

I only have the basic+web shield running. I'm going to try disabling the deepscan feature and see if I get any issues.

One more thing I forgot to mention, it seems things have settled down once I disabled fast startup...