XP TCP/IP Alternative Network Config

cableghost

My situation...I want to connect to my office domain and my home workgroup with my laptop w/o changing the settings.

Answer, TCP/IP Alternative Network Config...however, I have another issue-

My office domain is a dhcp, therefor, no static ip's are truly used. I want a static ip because I often leave my laptop at the office and simply hibernate it. The problem is if I do not have a static ip, it's possible another comp/laptop in the office will be assigned the ip address my laptop had on its previous network connection and when my comp goes into hibernation, that ip is thrown back into the pool. Then, when I bring my laptop out of hibernation, there's no connection.

So, what AUTOMATIC, or semi-automatic alternatives do I have...this is my list:

1. release/refresh the ip of the client each time this occurs by script (I wish I knew how to generate).

2. utilize a fixed ip on the server side for my laptop's ethernet mac address.

Is there anything else on the client (laptop) side that may work?

Just because the network uses DHCP doesent mean you cant reserve IP's for specific hardware. Talk to your Systems Admin and see if he can reserve you an IP on the network.

My home network runs on DHCP, yet my printer and my FTP server both have static IP's. Same for the printers at my work (im the sys admin)

The whole idea with DHCP is that it is Flexible, scalable and adaptable!

Thanks for the reply, though I know there is an ip that can be reserved for me...when you say reserve an ip for me, are you referring to a fixed ip on the server? If not, please explain.

If I should set my initial ip (static) in my network connections, the alternate config disappears and I have tried placing the static ip into the Alternate config itself and when I boot to the domain, my system still wants to search (dhcp) for and provide me a dynamic ip.

The dhcp server can reserve an ip from the ip pool. It assigns the MAC address of a certain NIC to a requested IP. MAC addresses are unique to the NIC, and you will never run into two NICs with the same MAC. Just talk/email to your admin at work, and I'm sure they can set it up for you.

My router at home, a D-Link DI804V, can do reservation based on Name instead of MAC.

well if u manually set yourself an ip whenever its avaliable u should be able to have it.

if there are 100 computers and the router's dhcp is set to give say from 1-255 ip range set your static ip to 255 this way most ppl won't use it up to that number.

also if u can contact the admin u can ask him to reserve an ip for u as mentioned

I don't know what kind of system they reserve the ip with but if its with mac adress i'd think its easier or maybe each office has its ethernet port labeled and that's how u get your ip or if u log in maybe its with the user name.

so if there is an admin just ask him that u want a static ip i'm sure he will be able to sort a way.

why do u need static ip? if u're okay with dynamic ip just make a small batch on your desktop

containing

ipconfig /renew should get u a new ip.

Justice- pardon my babble, but that is what I anticipated as one of the options...thank you.

XtremeMaC- the issue with setting only a static ip is that I would need that static ip no matter the network I would connect to, whether that was at the office, home, client, etc. and I would rather have more flexibility.

Regarding the script...is there anyway to have the script run automatically when coming out of hibernation? I realize I could simply create a desktop icon or have it mapped to a keyboard button though.

Something else...what is the point of having the alternate netwrok config? The only way, in my situation, it appears that it would be helpful is if I created 2 sep. static ip configs, however, that doesn't leave me any flexibility outside those 2 locations. Oh well, at least I don't have to keep changing the ip every time I connect to a different network.

I think what would make it more useful is if I could map a domain to the alternate network config, that way, my office dhcp would simply bypass the initial dynamic config and take the alternate-static settings.

why would you need the same static ip no matter what network you where on?

Your sys admin at work can just tie an IP to your MAC address or to your machine name, you can use a different IP for home or elsewhere. you shouldnt need to set anything at your end.. its the sys admin who will set in on the router at work.

Ive never known a PC disconnect from the network when it goes into hibernate mode...

Try this, press the windows key+Pause/Break on the keyboard, go to the hardware tab.

Then in Device Manager, Find Network Adapters, open the tree, now right click on your Network card and go to Properties. Click the Power Management tab, and untick "Allow the PC to turn off this device to save Power"

See if that helps :)

There's a software application made for this sort of thing when switching between 2 different network locations, unfortunately I forgot the name of it.

It was linked quite often from Bink.nu, but doesn't seem to be there anymore.

Windows key + M = minimise all apps to tray

Windows key + D = minimise all to tray AND maximise

Windows key + E = My Computer

Windows key + R = open Run Prompt

Bleh.. could go on Xtrememac.. theres loads, mostly pointless tho.

Hi,

You could use this command for setting a connection in dhcp:

netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" dhcp

and this one to specify an ip :

netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" static ipaddr subnetmask gateway metric

ex :

netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" static 192.168.0.10 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.1 1

hope it helps

donbi

Hi,

You could use this command for setting a connection in dhcp:

netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" dhcp

and this one to specify an ip :

netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" static ipaddr subnetmask gateway metric

ex :

netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" static 192.168.0.10 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.1 1

hope it helps

donbi

Using netsh is a good way.

and use this batch "getip.cmd":

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

may also work well to get a new ip for dhcp.

If you want your laptop moving between diffirent LANs, you can try the software named "NetSwitcher".

you can download its shareware version @ http://www.netswitcher.com/.

Good luck!