Rant: Chrome p***es me off!

What in the hell are the Chromium developers smoking? I'm talking about one of the many shortcomings of Chrome compared to FF. I've made the switch but **** I was just adjusting and clearing individual cookies and it just got to me so here I am.

Why in the hell does Chrome's cookie and site data not display alphabetically? There's zero logic on how they are displayed unless I'm missing something.

Google search: alphabetically chrome "cookie and site data "

Nothing of use!

Google search: "by date" chrome "cookie and site data "

Nothing of use!

Jesus friggin christ! I'm just p***ed at the moment. Sorry! :realmad:

Add any of your Chrome pet peeves if you like. :crazy:

Edited by -X-

Why in the hell does Chrome's cookie and site date not display alphabetically? There's zero logic on how they are displayed unless I'm missing something.

Well, I'm not sure what you mean. I'm using COMODO Dragon, a Chrome variant, and they are alphabetized for me, as far as I can tell, as follows:

www.xxxx.yyyy.zzz, where www and xxxx might or might not exist, and zzz is the top level domain such as com, org, net, etc.

It is sorted first by yyyy, , then zzz, then www and/or xxxx if they exist.

So some of my current Google related cookies and site data are sorted as:

google-analytics.com

google.com

accounts.google.com

apis.google.com

checkout.googlle.com

chrome.google.com

docs.google.com

drive.google.com

mail.google.com

play.google.com

plus.google.com

sites.google.com

talkgadget.google.com

www.google.com

google.it

www.google.it

google.ru

ajax.googleapis.com

chart.googleapis.com

fonts.googleapis.com

maps.googleapis.com

So "google-analytics" comes before "google" which comes before "googleapis". Within "google", "com" comes before "it" which comes before "ru". Within "googleapis.com", "ajax" comes before "chart", etc.

I don't know which version of Chrome you are using, but doesn't it sort them that way for you?

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

BTW, I recently learned something since we are talking about browsers. There's something good about IE8. Don't know about 6 or 7 since I don't have them installed anywhere atm.

It saves the favicons in NTFS streams. FF added the feature to save malformed icon files in your profile folder a while back but they never bothered to test it in XP and it produced a blank icon. There solution was to add an about:config setting to disable it on XP. I'm talking about .url files on the hard drive.

There's a neat trick you can perform when you save a .url in FF or Chrome to your hard drive. Load it in IE and the favicon will be added to the .url file.

This is my setup for "Internet Shortcuts"....

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut\Shell]"CLSID"="{FBF23B40-E3F0-101B-8488-00AA003E56F8}"@="Chrome"[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut\Shell\Chrome]@="Chrome"[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut\Shell\Chrome\command]@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Chrome\\Application\\chrome.exe\" -- \"%1\""[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut\Shell\Firefox]@="Firefox"[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut\Shell\Firefox\command]@="D:\\Programs\\Firefox\\firefox.exe -new-tab \"%1\""[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut\Shell\Internet Explorer]@="Internet Explorer"[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut\Shell\Internet Explorer\command]@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\IEXPLORE.EXE\" -nohome \"%1\""[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut\Shell\Internet Explorer\ddeexec]@="\"file://%1\",,-1,,,,,"[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut\Shell\Internet Explorer\ddeexec\application]@="IExplore"[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut\Shell\Internet Explorer\ddeexec\ifexec]@="*"[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut\Shell\Internet Explorer\ddeexec\topic]@="WWW_OpenURL"[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut\Shell\Notepad]@="Notepad"[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut\Shell\Notepad\command]@="NOTEPAD.EXE \"%1\""

So I just right click the .url file, click Internet Explorer and the favicon is added to the NTFS stream and instantly viewable in Windows Explorer. :thumbup

You know what? I was testing Dragon in a VM and it does do it. Same in Chrome on my real machine. It just uses the TLD as the first part of alphabetical sort.
It's backwards though!

Click to see.

.us at top
.org next one down

I don't know who's worse at doing silly things, MS or Google or maybe me. :puke:

EDIT: Oh man. I just installed an extension that's killer. It's called Hover Zoom (EDIT: BEWARE ADWARE! SEE BELOW.). My mouse just randomly moused over my "Click to see." link in this post and the image was displayed. I was using another thumbnail zoomer but this one kicks behinds..

Edited by -X-

I still think it's more likely that "imageshack.us" was entered first, then "userscripts.org" was entered next, etc. (How did you enter those exceptions?) Because to be consistent with what I described above, (even if it did do it backwards), for xxxx.yyy addresses, it would have sorted by xxxx, then within all entries of the same xxxx, it would have sorted by yyy. But don't mind me, I'm just guessing. I've found no explanation, and no way to change the order, whatever it is. But at least I think we agree that the order is alphabetical in the main section, as long as you know which order it sorts the fields in. It's just the exception section that is still confusing. I wonder if you could figure out what file those exceptions are listed in, load that file in a text editor, resort them (I guess using regex but it would probably be a pain since I'm not a regex expert by any means) and then save the sorted file.

Hover Zoom is very cool! Thanks!

Cheers and Regards

Found it pretty fast. It's in the file named Preferences in the root of your profile. Looks like a JSON file (EDIT: It is a JSON file). One more thing I hate about Chrome. Use extensions fools so I don't have to keep going to my send to menu or open with!!!!!!!!!!! :realmad:
Yeah, I have right click Notepad and UltraEdit with all files but still.

Here's an excerpt.

<snipped>   "printing": {      "print_preview_sticky_settings": {         "appState": "{\"version\":2,\"isGcpPromoDismissed\":false,\"selectedDestinationId\":\"Save as PDF\",\"selectedDestinationOrigin\":\"local\"}"      }   },   "profile": {      "avatar_index": 0,      "block_third_party_cookies": true,      "content_settings": {         "clear_on_exit_migrated": true,         "pattern_pairs": {            "*,*": {               "per_plugin": {                  "blackfishietab.dll": 1,                  "google-talk": 1               }            },            "[*.]accounts.google.com,*": {               "cookies": 1            },            "[*.]adblockplus.org,*": {               "cookies": 1            },            "[*.]adf.ly,*": {               "cookies": 4            },<snipped>                        "[*.]google.com,*": {               "cookies": 1,               "javascript": 1            },            "[*.]help.comodo.com,*": {               "cookies": 1            },            "[*.]history.google.com,*": {               "cookies": 4            },            "[*.]hostr.co,*": {               "cookies": 1            },            "[*.]ighome.com,*": {               "cookies": 1            },            "[*.]imageshack.com,*": {               "cookies": 1            },            "[*.]imageshack.us,*": {               "cookies": 1            },            "[*.]imdb.com,*": {               "cookies": 1            },            "[*.]imgur.com,*": {               "cookies": 1            },            "[*.]instagram.com,*": {               "cookies": 4            },            "[*.]lastpass.com,*": {               "cookies": 1            },            "[*.]live.com,*": {               "cookies": 1            },            "[*.]localhostr.com,*": {               "javascript": 1            },<snipped>

Seems alphabetical there. :/

Edited by -X-

Yep, but that looks straight alphabetical starting with the first letter, compared to the other way that was field dependent. But I don't guess it really matters whether it's consistent with the other section or not. The fact that it is in a pattern that is recognizable to allow you to find things is the important thing, as long as you know what that pattern is. :) IF it allows you to edit that file, (I'm sure when the browser is closed), then takes your edits without complaint, then it looks like that should be pretty easy to edit after all. Then the question would be if you change the order of the listing whether it then re-edits the file itself to put it back in the order it wants. That's probably not important either really. Just curious.

Cheers and Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Hover Zoom is very cool! Thanks!

Hey, just a heads up. I noticed an affiliates.jsm file in this extension just now while doing my routine drive inventories. Affiliates as in ads.

Edit out the adware if you like.

EDIT: Oh yeah. I remember now. It can be turned off in options > support this project but I'm still editing mine out.

chrome-extension://nonjdcjchghhkdoolnlbekcfllmednbl/html/options.html

Edited by -X-

Hey, just a heads up. I noticed an affiliates.jsm file in this extension just now while doing my routine drive inventories. Affiliates as in ads.

Edit out the adware if you like.

Where exactly? I'm using various ad blocking extensions, host files, etc and haven't seen any ads, but I'd like to make sure I don't see them in the future and I don't want them slowing me down, eating my bandwidth, compromising my privacy, or getting in my way. Thanks in advance.

Cheers and Regards

I edit my post, probably while you where replying. You can turn it off affiliates in options > support this project.

The extension is in your chrome user folder > extensions > nonjdcjchghhkdoolnlbekcfllmednbl.

Thanks.

EDIT: I didn't end up having any add related stuff in the extension, but then it stated in the docs that there wouldn't be any if something like AdBlock was used. Nice to know everything worked together. I disabled the affiliates anyway. No sense leaving any doors open that aren't necessary.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt