chkdsk not working, faulty hard drive?

niket

Alrighty, thanks for the series of steps. I went through all of them. There is nothing wrong according to all the chkdsk commands I ran.

I don't think you can say that with certainty, yet. The problem with examining a disk for errors in the same computer that exhibits the errors is that other potentially guilty parties are still present. Motherboard issues like controller problems or heat, bad cable, airflow, weak or bad power supply, or some rare chaotic condition from a combination of them may appear as a disk problem.

The only way to get to near certainty IMHO is to put that disk in a known working computer ( as a slave ) and run CHKDSK and other tools against it there, including the specific HDD manufacturer tools. Also check out what the SMART data looks like there as well ( in HDTune or similar ). In fact you should run the HDTune benchmarks on each while you're at it. Then take all these results from both computers and compare them to see if there is any conflicting information. If they both check out identically you can be pretty certain the disk is healthy IMHO.

Is it possible that my computer is not running chkdsk on startup because of a registry issue?

About the registry and possible AutoChk disabling, infection or corruption. There are a bunch of reasons ...

AntiVirus packages often have a realtime system protection component ( :rolleyes: ) that revert system setting changes silently in an effort to save the user from nefarious malware. The registry, especially all those startup keys are a prime location for these protectors to monitor so it is possible for them to block something like AutoChk. So there is a possibility here, but you say you ruled it out by disabling or removing the AV software.

Another possibility, if you are not running as Administrator, or, if the permissions were modified for that key, or for that file, or any combination of these you may be unable ( or Chkdsk may be unable ) to set it correctly.

Here's another. Some 3rd party programs become territorial, perhaps a hard disk software like a retail DEFRAG suite or full blown Norton Utility or similar ( you said you used GlarySoft? ) now assumes duties for that Chkdsk function and takes ownership of the file or some combination of the permissions. They have to do it if they want their particular app to replace the normal Windows apps. Have you had any program installed that falls into this category?

Then there are other problems like a corrupt file AutoChk file as this thread with one of MSFN's members ( Andre ) participated in ...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/autochkexe-corrupt-windows-7-x64-pro/20217a8c-1b75-402a-ad2a-30224441f48f

Also, there are reams of results in Google and Bing for AutoChk related errors. It's a matter of getting the right combination of keywords to zero in on it. But personally I would be sure to check out all those other things too ( test the HDD in another system, check the permissions, etc ).

@Ponch

I actually said how I was too fast assuming that a way back was already prepared, and how your note does have some merits :).

Still one thing is "better be safe than sorry" and another is "fear mongering" :w00t:

If you prefer, I have never experienced a defrag - short of a couple cases where there was a blackout during it - actually damaging a filesystem.

Whether this is because the tool is safe, or that I have been extremely lucky over the years, it is hard to say, still the result of my experience is that if the filesystem is "sound" enough to let CHKDSK run (even reporting some errors, very, very unlikely after a CHKDSK /F and a CHKDSK /R) then DEFRAG won't worsen it's status (either the filesystem is perfectly "sound" or it is beyond recovery after a CHKDSK /F and a CHKDSK /R passes, in the sense that you have no other tool capable of fixing a NTFS error remaining after the two CHKDSK passes).

The idea was the following:

if for *any* reason there is one or more "weak" sectors (which however CHKDSK /R should have found and "exclude") in the disk area where the hyberfil.sys is placed, deleting it and recreating it after defragmenting the volume may place it in a different area of the disk.

Of course defragmenting the hard disk is a key step as without it chances are that the new hyberfil.sys would be recreated on the same area as it was before, vanifying the experiment.

Facts:

Alrighty, thanks for the series of steps. I went through all of them. There is nothing wrong according to all the chkdsk commands I ran.

BTW confirm that no harm was done. :whistle:

I don't think you can say that with certainty, yet. The problem with examining a disk for errors in the same computer that exhibits the errors is that other potentially guilty parties are still present. Motherboard issues like controller problems or heat, bad cable, airflow, weak or bad power supply, or some rare chaotic condition from a combination of them may appear as a disk problem.

NO. :no:

CHKDSK, notwithstanding the name, has very little to do with the actual DISK, it only checks the logical consistency of the filesystem/volume, if it reports no errors, than running it on 100 different computers will still result in no errors (unless the other 100 computers are faulty themselves).

BUT it won't say you anything about the actual DISK status, so, running the manufacturer utility tests is a very good idea :yes:, but no *need* to do so on "another" computer, if not because on the "other" computer it might be handier since you have a "full OS" working.

Is it possible that my computer is not running chkdsk on startup because of a registry issue?

Yes, it is possible, though if this is the case there can be tens of reasons why this happens. :( as Charlotte explained.

Besides the autorun of CHKDSK issue, is the hibernation still not working properly?

Which EXACT model is your Lenovo laptop?

Which EXACT make/model of hard disk is the "new" 1 Tb one?

Which EXACT make/model of hard disk was the one you replaced?

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

NO. :no:

CHKDSK, notwithstanding the name, has very little to do with the actual DISK, it only checks the logical consistency of the filesystem/volume, if it reports no errors, than running it on 100 different computers will still result in no errors (unless the other 100 computers are faulty themselves).

BUT it won't say you anything about the actual DISK status, so, running the manufacturer utility tests is a very good idea :yes:, but no *need* to do so on "another" computer, if not because on the "other" computer it might be handier since you have a "full OS" working.

I actually agree with you about Chkdsk ( and I think I drifted off in the middle of that original comment without completely explaining my thinking ). Without sector scanning ( I believe that shows up as a 6-step Chkdsk rather than 3-step IIRC ) then the whole process was file system sanity checking, metadata, etc. Nothing about the disk itself. This, by the way, is the reason I said we don't know for sure ( my incompleted thought ). Chkdsk is not rigorous, never has been. So I fully agree here.

I disagree about the use of another computer for one reason: I was trying to eliminate "false positives" ( for lack of a better phrase ) which he reported earlier but not this last time.

Let's say you run all the tools against the disk in the original machine and see some failures. Now we run them again in another known good machine but with no failures. The evidence points to a false positive in the first system perhaps from any of those myriad possibilities ( like heat, PS, etc ). Now we can try to pinpoint some other issue.

And yes, it still could be the disk even after getting the all-clear on two machines, such is the nature of technology ( some maddening highly intermittent electrical fault ), in which case the "all-clear" would really be a false negative, but that's why we keep third, and fourth, ... machines around. The way I do it is run a battery of stuff as mentioned, and compare everything looking for any differences.

One really good reason to use a second computer as a matter of course is for malware scanning. There is no way to trust the original computer to scan for malware if it is infected by malware ( especially rootkits and outside-the-file-system MBR viruses ). All I'm saying is that you can kill a lot of birds with one single stone by just dropping the disk into a clean computer, preferably pre-configured for this task with lots of tools sitting right there ready to go. Alternative methods are using standalone environments from optical or flash drives. But none of this is news to you of course!

@Charlotte

Sure :), and having (say) a Seagate hard disk hardware tester :w00t: would be even better to test a Seagate disk drive and make sure it has no issues ;).

Your approach is very good :yes:, the point was trying to do something with the least effort, or with a simpler approach first,

jaclaz