INF file with nested quotes

Whats the proper syntax for the quotes here? (wrapped for readability). Gracias!

[DefaultInstall]

"StorageServer","""msiexec /i c:\stage\sasetup30.msi ADDLOCAL="BackEndFramework,WebUI,NAS,SetDateAndTime,Set_Language,UsersAndGroups,NetworkSetup,Logs,SystemB

ackup,AlertEmail,Shutdown,RemoteDesktop,SysInfo,ScheduledDefragmentation,ShadowCopyManagement,UPS,Fo

ldersAndShares,Services,DisksAndVols" /qn"""

um...

i think...

[DefaultInstall]
"StorageServer","msiexec /i c:\stage\sasetup30.msi ADDLOCAL="""BackEndFramework,WebUI,NAS,SetDateAndTime,Set_Language,UsersAndGroups,NetworkSetup,Logs,SystemB
ackup,AlertEmail,Shutdown,RemoteDesktop,SysInfo,ScheduledDefragmentation,ShadowCopyManagement,UPS,Fo
ldersAndShares,Services,DisksAndVols""" /qn"

however that won't work in an INF unless you have another section in the INF call it. Addreg or something similar.

actually i need to get it to run during preinstall, so i guess it need to go into winbom.ini under [OemRunOnce]

I was just creating an INF file and running it to test the syntax before going through the whole preinstall process.

no, thats the command to do an unattended install of the microsoft storage server 2.0 software from a command prompt.

unfortunately my plan of throwing it in the winbom.ini didn't work for some reason

Hmmm........ it saw the command, it just failed... from winbom.log:

Found Preinstall Section '"msiexec /i c:\stage\sasetup30.msi ADDLOCAL=BackEndFramework' for application 'StorageServer'

ERROR: An invalid Install Technology was provided for 'StorageServer'. Can not continue with current application Preinstallation.

Factory state "Installing applications" took 1.266 seconds to complete.

ADDLOCAL=& quot;
that had seemed like a registry

why do u need 3 quotation marks in there anyways? (not that its going to change anything...)

I haven't yet discovered that msi's work with switches even if so

try putting spaces in between. like

Set_Language, UsersAndGroups, NetworkSetup

instead of

Set_Language,UsersAndGroups,NetworkSetup

now i don't think that'll help but maybe worth it?

the command line entry requires quotes. if i type

msiexec /i c:\stage\sasetup30.msi ADDLOCAL="BackEndFramework,WebUI,NAS,SetDateAndTime,Set_Language,UsersAndGroups,NetworkSetup,Logs,SystemB

ldersAndShares,Services,DisksAndVols" /qn

at the command prompt, it works. the documentation for [guirunonce] says you need to enclose the command in quotes as well. So now you have quotes within quotes and I thought there was a special syntax for that. Maybe not, I don't think I've tried it like below, but without the syntax, I'm pretty sure that the second set of quotes will act like a closing quote.

[GuiRunOnce]

"StorageServer","msiexec /i c:\stage\sasetup30.msi ADDLOCAL="BackEndFramework,WebUI,NAS,SetDateAndTime,Set_Language,UsersAndGroups,NetworkSetup,Logs,SystemB

ldersAndShares,Services,DisksAndVols" /qn"

even the webboard software here is converting one of my quotation marks to read &QUOTE :). Wherever you see &QUOTE on my post, it's just supposed to bea quotation mark

oh! you're right.... i dont have the docs in front of me, but now that you mentioned that, i remember reading that. as i recall though it still needs to be enclosed in quotes doesnt it?

ok this is odd, i checked the docs, the docs show quotes in the examples

[GuiRunOnce]

"command 1"

"command 2"

however i did a google search on guirunonce and see examples without the quotes.

before i drive 45 minutes into the office to test this and continue with my project, can you confirm quotes aren't needed? this is one of my few remaining big hurdles. thanks again for all the help, i really appreciate it. The last time I touched this stuff was NT 4.0 and there were no internet resources for unattended installs back then, I'm really glad to see there are several resources available now.

quotes are neccessary if there aren't any spaces in the command lik...

%systemdrive%\Batch.cmd

but would be neccesary for

%systemdrive%\Temp Folder\batch.cmd

but since we're talkin about GUIRunOnce and not an INF, nested quotes are just that, nested quotes. You shouldn't need any special stuff.

so like

"%systemdrive%\test.msi /ADDLOCA="asdsaf;dslgfjgfdgdfgjh" /qb"