Uninstalling IE

XPLite claims to be able to remove the Internet Explorer.

You could use some installation monitoring program like Total Uninstall to find the changes made to the system.

But I would really advise angainst uninstalling the IE. It's just too integrated into windows to forsee all effects of it's complete removal.

you can remove iexplore.exe and clean up all the shortcuts, but explorer.exe will still be able to work as a browser, because the mshtml dll's are still there. You would have to cripple windows to get that out.

I can't tell how WindowsUpdate or hotfixes or IE6+ setup will react when IE is missing. They may do what they should do and copy updated files. Or they may choose not to and not copy files that aren't presently installed. It depends on some switches inside the hotfix/setup INF file.

I did that. I uninstalled the Internet Explorer using XPLite. Well, what it did to my system wasnt nice. Network installation was impossible after removing. Nothing was listed in the Networkdriver fields (TCP/PPPoE/NetBIOS/...). Even after reinstalling TCPIP Protocolls and some more stuff using Windows setup. The installed drivers and hardware in the hardware devicelist wasnt available anymore. All i got was a blank white window. Even reinstalling the IE using XPLite brought nothing.

And at least i thought the engine would be removed but it wasnt. Trying to access a site in an explorer window after removing IE and restarting the computer showed up the normal 404 not found message or whatever.

Ive taken a snapshop using symantec ghost software. so after ill have installed ghost on this windows i can post the changes made.

But it wasnt a new installed windows, it was a normal installation with tons of software and upgrades on it. maybe itll work fine removing the IE on a clean installation with XPLite.

you can remove iexplore.exe and clean up all the shortcuts, but explorer.exe will still be able to work as a browser, because the mshtml dll's are still there. You would have to cripple windows to get that out.

I can't tell how WindowsUpdate or hotfixes or IE6+ setup will react when IE is missing. They may do what they should do and copy updated files. Or they may choose not to and not copy files that aren't presently installed. It depends on some switches inside the hotfix/setup INF file.

Yea, what i meant was remove iexplore.exe.

But i don't understand is, if explore.exe could act as a web browser that what is the difference?

And so in theory if i remove iexplore.exe Window update should still open up in explore.exe.?

( I am a MyIE user, so i just wish those program would open up in MyIE rather than IE. )

Why do you want to remove parts of IE if you are currently using it or its engine? Instead of removing the iexplore.exe it would be better to disable it. MyIE should work if its enabled/disabled or deleted and as long as you don not remove the ie engine you can access the web through explore.exe. Updates and whatever should work. As long as you dont delete to much stuff. But as far as i know youll need iexplore installed on your system somehow to gain access to the windowsupdate site. so at least the engine should stay.

I missed the topic somehow but here is what XPLite deleted for removing my IE. I dont put the registry changes in here because there are about 2000 lines changed/deleted/added. If i should post the registry changes say so.

DELETE: "$ProgFilesDir$\Gemeinsame Dateien\Microsoft Shared\Triedit\DHTMLED.OCX"

DELETE: "$ProgFilesDir$\Gemeinsame Dateien\Microsoft Shared\Triedit\TRIEDIT.DLL"

DELETE: "$ProgFilesDir$\Internet Explorer\HMMAPI.DLL"

DELETE: "$ProgFilesDir$\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE"

DELETE: "$WINDIR$\Help\ieakmmc.chm"

DELETE: "$WINDIR$\Help\ieeula.chm"

DELETE: "$WINDIR$\Help\ieos.chm"

DELETE: "$WINDIR$\Help\ieshared.chm"

DELETE: "$WINDIR$\Help\iesupp.chm"

DELETE: "$WINDIR$\Help\iewebhlp.chm"

DELETE: "$WINDIR$\Help\iexplore.chm"

DELETE: "$WINDIR$\Help\iexplore.hlp"

DELETE: "$WINDIR$\Help\msnauth.cnt"

DELETE: "$WINDIR$\Help\msnauth.hlp"