GA-Z87N-WIFI, WinPE, have to boot twice to get mouse

Kris27

Just installed Win AIK on 11-19, so I have whatever version that is.

I use WinPE for bootable USB flash disks for Acronis and EaseUS recovery, so it is Acronis and Easus that is/are grabbing WinPE and putting it in the image.

I have to boot twice to get mouse.

Happens with Acronis and EaseUS WinPE.

I have a genuine MS wired mouse (USB), and a Logitech M510 Wireless (USB) mouse. I get neither on first boot. I get both on second boot. Always.

I get mouse working on first boot on my laptop (2yr old Lenovo V570).

I am guessing it's the BIOS, but any ideas as to what to change? I am running Win7 Pro x64 SP1 current and have set BIOS to "other OS" (I set OS TYPE to Win8 so I could set CSM Support to "never" and then set OS TYPE back to Other OS)

EDIT: I had EaseUS todo backup workstation 6.1 write WinPE to a CD and get the same behavior - no mouse on first boot, mouse on second boot. UEFI doesn't like WinPE.

EDIT: the board came with the latest BIOS - F4. It is a rev 1.1 mobo, which is the latest.

EDIT: sorry for duplicate post - computer hiccuped. please delete the other one.

Edited by Kris27

You can try to set

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE_00\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]

"EnableCursorSuppression"=dword:00000000

How does this affect what's on the USB flash drive?

You can try to set

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE_00\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]

Change it in the WinPE's registry.

You can try to set

Change it in the WinPE's registry.

which would be where, please.

You can do it multiple ways. One way would be to use a .reg file and have it added during boot up. Just add the appropriate command to your startnet.cmd or winpeshl.ini, whichever you use, and of course put the .reg file in the image.

The other way would be to load the SOFTWARE hive under HKLM in Regedit and make the change.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732157.aspx

Registry hives are located here:

mount\Windows\System32\config

I would recommend using the first method to test and verify that it does, indeed, fix your issue. If it does, then you can do the registry edit. Although, it may be the case that adding the reg file does not work because it is a setting that only takes effect after a reboot. I can't speak to that. So then make a backup of your boot image before fiddling with its registry if you are not experienced in it.

Sorry, this is all gibberish to me. Acronis and EaseUS both build the iso image internally and allow no interaction.

New discovery: I can press the hardware reset button one sec after telling it to boot the first time, press F12, tell it to boot again and let it go through and it works fine. This is a BIOS UEFI problem. I am pursuing with Gigabyte. Thanks for your time!

Problem solved by replacing mobo (same model) and getting a PS2 mouse. Now I get mouse the first time I boot to WinPE on USB flash drive, though sometimes it's the PS2 mouse and sometimes it's the wireless USB mouse. Go figure. Does anyone really know what a UEFI BIOS is really actually doing?