How do I resize my drive partitions?

BradBo

Hi,

I made 3 partitions on my 80 gig hd.

I made my primary Windows "C" drive too small.

I would like to make it a few gig's larger.

Is there any way to do this in Windoes XP.

I'm trying to install my new Windows Suite and the setup screen always takes me to the "C" drive.

I cant seem to get it to look at the other drives.

Thanks

Seattle

Well it really depends...are you runing Xp with Ntfs or Fat32? I know from personal experience that using Partition magic on a Ntfs Hd can be very bad.....so i reccomend that if your using Ntfs, resizing the Drive might be a very bad idea, while the fat system can be changed in size quite simply...

if u need further instruction just elaborate...

:)

-Drew

I am using NTSF.

I'm also too cheap to buy a program just to add a couple gigs to a drive and then never use it again.

Are you telling me there is no way in XP to do this.

Thanks

That drive has my windows on it.

Sorry if I sound like a winer.

well, im sorry to say, if you want to resize it without a program like partition magic, the only other way is to reformat, and do it thru fdisk like Conan said :)

OR, you could grab Symantec Ghost and make a backup of the entire C harddrive and save it to another harddrive you have and if you have another one try to burn it or send it to network. Then format and use FDisk.

OR, you could grab Symantec Ghost and make a backup of the entire C harddrive and save it to another harddrive you have and if you have another one try to burn it or send it to network. Then format and use FDisk.

Just want to remind you of his older post :)

I am using NTSF.

I'm also too cheap to buy a program just to add a couple gigs to a drive and then never use it again.

Are you telling me there is no way in XP to do this.

Thanks

Well, isn't there a restore program in Windows? And im sure theres freeware/shareware tools that are free. And maybe theres some restore/backup tools with your mobo like with mine I got all kinds of programs.

Well, isn't there a restore program in Windows? And im sure theres freeware/shareware tools that are free. And maybe theres some restore/backup tools with your mobo like with mine I got all kinds of programs.

I'm not sure about the programs that come with the motherboard, but i know that the Windows "System Restore" doesn't do a drive image like norton ghost.. what it does is backup the most critical areas of windows ( like the registry, dlls, etc.. ) . And a backed up system restore can only be used on that windows installation. Meaning you can't backup, format and then load it back up... :)

If you want to resize the partition without reformatting, you HAVE to use an external program, i don't think there is another way, if anyone else knows of a way, please let us know :rolleyes:

Blackwar