Explorer right click options

ElGringo

Hi, i'm wondering if it was possible to move the command "Open in new window" in the position shown in the image using regedit. I would still be much easier to open new windows via explorer. A big thank you to anyone who can help me! :angel

P.s.: i'm with Windows 7.

post-339026-0-06869300-1385250716_thumb.

Edited by ElGringo

There is a thread where we discussed this a bit ... Add Command In Context Menu.

I explained some details starting about here.

To cut to the chase, relocating an entry involves exporting the current contents of a registry key, editing it as a REG file so that the entry is now in the proper position, and then re-importing that REG file with a command at the top that first deletes all the entries and then inserts the new ones ( with the new order ).

Complicating this is the fact that entries are displayed in the context menu from ( broadly ) at least two different locations using two different methods ( Shell and ShellEx ). One must take this into account and that usually means grabbing both locations and editing the entire works. As I don't understand your language I cannot tell what that means ( Open in a new Window? ). You need to first determine where that command originates from, so I would suggest you export the entire registry and then search for it and perhaps post that key ( Shell or ShellEx ).

Keep in mind that the latter method ( ShellEx ) uses pointers to DLL libraries so that particular text prompt might not even show up in the registry export ( DLL code resides in the DLL file and the context menu text is pulled from there, "Shell" entries show the customizeable context menu text right in the registry however ).

ADDED: forgot to mention this ... the reason that the registry key(s) need re-ordering is that they are read and enumerated sequentially as they exist within the registry hive files ( not necessarily as they appear in the REGEDIT interface ). As they get entered into the registry they are stored as records in the hive ( it's a database ) and they are stored one after another without regards to alphanumeric sort or anything else. The shell code reads them sequentially ( as they were entered into the registry over the life of that Windows installation ) and then builds the context menu which will look like they appear on disk. Microsoft never added any runtime code to micromanage the appearance of the context menus but there are 3rd party utilities. Some of them do it the way I described by re-ordering the records, others I believe do it at runtime at each boot by inserting a service to manipulate the current session in memory. Another type ( seen in that linked thread ) effectively inserts a shim that itself can host context menu entries that are highly customizable. I prefer to do it by hand myself.

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot