Right way to do Nvidia drivers non "basic" cards?

rustycaps

I was having a play around with the txtsetup.sif file, trying to get my A280LE Leadtek VIVO card to be detected properly on setup, and have full screen when comes to run runonceex box, rather than having to run the install file later on and have the runonceex box taking up too much space. I ended up compressing the 3 nv4_ files (nv4_disp.dll/.ini and nv4_mini.sys) and adding them to the txtsetup.sif in replace of where the original nv4 line was, but this only resulted in having the double up runonceex windows - it came up saying it found the A280LE card, but it needed manual driver directory input for the files, even though they were there already from the oem copy over.

I ended up getting it working (as far as running at the set resolution in winnt.sif anyway) after I'd deleted all 3 nv4_ entries in txtsetup.sif, which I assume made setup look in the oem drivers directory for the video files, as it had no reference to the standard drivers, as I'd also copied over and replaced the nv4_ files in i386 directory with the ones for this card too, but think I put back the original when it didn't work.

Even after all this, when it got into the desktop, I did a check on the display properties and it showed up as a GF4, not as the proper A280LE (from memory - did a few installs on 2 different systems in the last few days getting them setup for when ADSL is working, so might be thinking of the other system).

Slightly off-topic, but same card - would the copy into i386 and add to txtsetup.sif work for the VIVO drivers, or are they only for windows installs, or should I just try it next time anyway?

made setup look in the oem drivers directory for the video files

I had done that originally, before I tried playing around with the txtsetup.sif file, as it was the easy option, but it wasn't successful, so I thought of replacing all the nv4 files from the XP cd with the ones for the video card I have, and adding the entries into txtsetup.sif, which I did, and it ran the runonceex screen @ 1280x1024 resolution, which was set through winnt.sif, but can't remember whether it had loaded the Leadtek A280LE drivers, or the standard GF4 ones - I just reloaded this system, which has an Asus V7100 GF2, and it used the generic GF2 drivers, though had full resolution too.

Well, I just confirmed what I'd thought to be true - all I did was to delete the 3 nv4_ entries from txtsetup.sif and the video card was detected as an A280LE and the monitor came through as well (both specified in winnt.sif of course).

I might have to try something similar with this box, and delete the generic nv4_ files and see if it works with the proper Asus drivers, rather than the generic GF2 files, but it shouldn't really matter, though I did have problems with another Asus video card when using the wrong drivers.

it's probally because the "generic" drivers revieced a higher rating, and when you removed said drivers, all that was left were yours. I was thinking of doing that with my monitor drivers, but then was like....ya know it doesn't really matter. All it's going to do is replace Plug and Play with my monitors name. There ain't nottin special and registers on its own just fine. :)