Missing "My Documents" in "My Computer"

Folks,

I realize I don't post much, and I ran a search on this before I asked. I hope it doesn't end up being a stupid question.

I just performed an unattended install last night. The CD was created with GM's XPCreate, normal hotfixes put in, some of Gosh's recommendations for spyware prevention, applying compatws.inf using secedit in GuiRunOnce ( for issues with older applications and my limited user accounts ), and a few normal registry tweaks. The only reg tweak pertaining to documents was the prevention of "recent documents" showing in the start menu.

The issue I see is that for the limited users I created ( in the "Users" group ), their individual "username Documents" icons do not show up under "My Computer", even though they are accessable from the start menu "My Documents".

The "Shared Documents" icon is there, however.

From my Administrator account, I can see all three of the limited users's Document icons, as well as the Shared Documents.

I checked to make sure none of the limited users documents folders were inadvertantly set to private - but even so, that wouldn't stop them from showing up when logged in from their own account.

Would anyone possibly have any ideas of something else I could look for? Maybe the registry keys got toasted, but I'm not sure where that information is stored.

Thanks for any and all help.

Tim

• 1 year later...

When you open the My Computer screen and your Documents folder is missing but all the other users folders are there try this tweak.

STEP 1:

START > RUN > REGEDIT >

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / Software / Microsoft / Windows / Current Version / Explorer / DocFolderPaths

Once you click the DocFolderPaths folder you should see all the user's folders.

STEP 2:

Add a new string value

Value Name: your user name

Value Data: the path to your docs folder ( ex. C:\Documents and Settings\your docs folder )

Exit Registry editor and open my computer, your docs folder should now be visable.

http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/windo...-in-My-Computer

...anyways..to help clarify...this is what I have...I also have the my docs for all users disabled

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths]

"Administrator"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\Administrator\\My Documents"

"JROC"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\JROC\\My Documents"

Edited by jroc