USB Joystick and Windows 95 OSR2.5 or NT4 SP6

jholt5638

I have a Gateway Solo 5300 256MB/10GB laptop and the only OS's I have available to me are Windows 95 OSR2.5 and NT4 SP6a both work flawlessly on this laptop. The only thing I am having trouble with is getting a USB joystick working under either one. Under NT4 with the io networks USB stack detects the joystick but reports device failed to load. Under Win95 comes up as unknown device. I attempted to load Win98FE USB HID drivers but that failed. Does anyone know of a USB HID stack for Windows95

Please post the manufacturer and model of the joystick, in the hope that an original manufacturer driver may have existed...

First, be sure that you have all of the USB Supplement packages + later 95 USB HotFixes installed properly. (Describe what you have done, or if you haven't attempted this yet, post here first and I may be able to simplify the process for you.)

After that, and after searching for a manufacturer's driver:

You might try IntelliPoint 4.0, it is the last version to run under 95 and does allow the use of Wheel Mice, never tested with other devices...

This apparenlty is not widely known, but contained in the Windows NT4 DDK is a "Beta/Experimental/Incomplete?? unsure.gif" USB HID stack for Windows 95. I don't know how complete it is, or if it could be made to work or not... I had planned to get around to this one day, but never really needed to; I don't use USB devices other than USB Storage. :}

Edited by LoneCrusader