Problem with split install.wim

Hi everyone, I'm starting this topic because I have a strange problem.. I created my personal Windows 8 ISO, with all the updates and office 2013 integrated, used wintoolkit and winreducer to remove the things I don't need and rebuilt my iso.. If i install my ISO in virtualbox as it is, everything is fine, but since I have to put it in a fat32 USB stick and my install.wim is 6.5GB, i have to split it.. i use the command:

Dism /Split-Image /ImageFile:C:\install.wim /SWMFile:C:\install.swm /FileSize:4096

But when I try to install the new ISO, it gives me an error (Windows cannot find the Microsoft Software License Terms. Make sure the installation sources are valid and restart the installation).. am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by carlese

when i boot my pendrive using no split image in ntfs it says "disk read error, ctrl alt canc to reboot".. i used windows 8 usb maker and the windows7 download tool.. haven't tried rufus yet..

Edited by carlese

when i boot my pendrive using no split image in ntfs it says "disk read error, ctrl alt canc to reboot".. i used windows 8 usb maker and the windows7 download tool.. haven't tried rufus yet..

Let's try and separate the issues, OK ? :unsure:

If for any reason you *need* FAT32 you need "split" files.

The .swm files are "relatives" to .wim files but you cannot make a "set" of install .iso's with "partial" .swm files AFAIK. on a USB stick.

This is usually the reference:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825096.aspx

What exactly are you doing after having created the .swm files?

Are you rebuilding more .iso's?

But when I try to install the new ISO,

Or where are you placing the various .swm files on the stick? (they should go in \source\)

More generally if you could describe with more detail what you did, it would help. :)

Ia m not at all sure to have understood what you tried. :w00t:

If for any reason you cannot boot your stick if it has a single partition NTFS formatted (but you do want to have it NTFS) it could be BOTH an easily solvable problem (re-partition/format with Rufus or RMPREPUSB or some of the other "specific" tools) or a limitation of your specific BIOS (very rare nowadays, but you never know), which may need some manual tweaking.

jaclaz

Let's try and separate the issues, OK ? :unsure:

If for any reason you *need* FAT32 you need "split" files.

The .swm files are "relatives" to .wim files but you cannot make a "set" of install .iso's with "partial" .swm files AFAIK. on a USB stick.

This is usually the reference:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825096.aspx

What exactly are you doing after having created the .swm files?

Are you rebuilding more .iso's?

But when I try to install the new ISO,

Or where are you placing the various .swm files on the stick? (they should go in \source\)

More generally if you could describe with more detail what you did, it would help. :)

Ia m not at all sure to have understood what you tried. :w00t:

If for any reason you cannot boot your stick if it has a single partition NTFS formatted (but you do want to have it NTFS) it could be BOTH an easily solvable problem (re-partition/format with Rufus or RMPREPUSB or some of the other "specific" tools) or a limitation of your specific BIOS (very rare nowadays, but you never know), which may need some manual tweaking.

jaclaz

Ok so let me explain better.. I split the image and put it in sources folder, fat32 stick, but when I install it in VM it gives me error (license error or something like that).. So I tried to use a single install .wim. (only an image in it) ntfs stick, but it gives me the disk error.. I tried with Rufus and diskpart but no luck.. My mobo is gigabyte p43t-es3g,i dont think the bios is uefi.. How can I solve the problem with ntfs bootable usb? It would be great cause I don't like fat32 limitations..

How can I solve the problem with ntfs bootable usb? It would be great cause I don't like fat32 limitations..

Try first thing with RMPREPUSB.

http://www.rmprepusb.com/home/rmprepusb-manual

You want to select "C: 2 PTns" (making a fake second partition seemingly helps with some BIOSes):

http://www.rmprepusb.com/home/rmprepusb-manual#TOC-Boot-as-HDD-C:-2PTNS---Recommended-

You may also want to test your stick before with the included in RMPREPUSB test utility:

jaclaz

How can I solve the problem with ntfs bootable usb? It would be great cause I don't like fat32 limitations..

Try first thing with RMPREPUSB.

http://www.rmprepusb.com/home/rmprepusb-manual

You want to select "C: 2 PTns" (making a fake second partition seemingly helps with some BIOSes):

http://www.rmprepusb.com/home/rmprepusb-manual#TOC-Boot-as-HDD-C:-2PTNS---Recommended-

You may also want to test your stick before with the included in RMPREPUSB test utility:

jaclaz

no luck even with this program.. i tried the 2PTNS mode, the LBA mode but nothing.. always disk read error.. my usb is ok, i always use it to install my ISO.. it seems that something is wrong with NTFS file system..

ok, here are the news.. i tried my usb stick on another pc (notebook this time) and it booted to the windows 8 setup.. so what is the problem? my bios??? i don't know what is going on..

ok, here are the news.. i tried my usb stick on another pc (notebook this time) and it booted to the windows 8 setup.. so what is the problem? my bios??? i don't know what is going on..

Yes it is possible.

Can you post the make/model of the PC that "fails" and the make/model of the USB stick?

jaclaz

Yes it is possible.

Can you post the make/model of the PC that "fails" and the make/model of the USB stick?

jaclaz

My PC specs are:

MoBO: GIGABYTE P43T-ES3G (REV. 1.3) BIOS F7 (F8 gives me problems with overclock)

SSD: Samsung 840 Basic 250GB

HDD: WDD 250GB

Bios setting: AHCI

USB is a Transcend JetFlash 8GB

Hi everyone, I'm starting this topic because I have a strange problem.. I created my personal Windows 8 ISO, with all the updates and office 2013 integrated, used wintoolkit and winreducer to remove the things I don't need and rebuilt my iso...

Have you tried using a full clean image without removing components?

Hi everyone, I'm starting this topic because I have a strange problem.. I created my personal Windows 8 ISO, with all the updates and office 2013 integrated, used wintoolkit and winreducer to remove the things I don't need and rebuilt my iso...

Have you tried using a full clean image without removing components?

yes.. tried it before.. the strange thing is that, as i said before, i am able to boot from usb on my notebook, but not on my PC.. same usb, same image, same tweaks..

There could be several different issues.

First one could be the size of the stick (but if it works with FAT32 this is not possible).

Second could be some "strange" incompatibility of the BIOS with the NTFS bootsector (or with the partition ID of 07 in the partition table).

Are you familiar with using a disk/hex editor? (I need to know this if further tests are to be made=

Get this thingy here Clonedisk:

http://labalec.fr/erwan/?page_id=42

Click on the Tool tab, then Partition Table Editor, choose the USB stick (if you have a SSD and a HD it will be most probably \\.\PhysicalDrive2), you should see the first two lines filled with partition data, and the last two empty/all 00's.

The first line will have 07 as type, change it to 0C.

Save the edited partition table and reboot.

Try connecting the USB stick to a port "on the back" of the PC (i.e. one of those directly soldered to the motherboard) and NOT on one of the "front" ones, and try booting again.

Your motherboard most probably has a "hot key" to change boot order, you should try booting form the USB stick BOTH with USB set as primary boot device (in BIOS settings) and by changing the normal boot order "on the fly" through the hot-key.

Report the exact wording that you see in the error message (if it fails booting).

Another thing, get Chipgenius:

http://reboot.pro/topic/4661-chipgenius/

and run it against the USB stick, post the results.

jaclaz