Windows Server 2008 with WinXP/Win7 clients

eljainc

Hello,

I provide IT support to a small medical clinic. The way their Windows Server 2008 R2 has been set up is without a domain. We basically have been using it

in "workgroup" mode. This has worked okay for the most part. What I need to do now is create user accounts/permissions. I have installed ADDS, but

it seems this may not work for us in the end for the following reason: The clients are Windows XP Home, and several are Windows 7 Premium. There are

no "Professional, Ultimate, or Enterprise" clients on this network.

I want to be able to set up sharing and permissions so that certain users have only rights to public folders, but not to clinic sensive documents which

a rogue employee could sabotage or delete if they were so inclined.

Currently the data volume (F:) has the permissions for the "Everyone" group and all rights (Full control, read, write, etc). This is obviously not good.

Again, as I mentioned, I have created users (i.e. director, frontdesk1, frontdesk2, etc). How do I tie the WinXP/Win7 clients to these user names and accounts. Do

I actually need to create user accounts on the server so that I can "lock down" folders and permissions? I'm thinking this might be the way to go.

Please chime in with any comments or suggestions.

Thanks

Mike

Well the first thing is that those computers need to get up to either Pro or Enterprise levels. Its always a headscratcher when you see companies taking shortcuts or making uninformed decisions when it comes to IT. If this company is in the United States, then you are bound by HIPAA regulations regarding the data. I wouldn't be taking any shortcuts.

Regarding your question in general, you can assign the local accounts (of the physical computers) permissions on the server share. Basically, go into your share properties and add a user. Type in COMPUTERNAME\USERNAME where the computer name is the actual name of the client PC, and the user name is the local account on that client PC.

I would definately recommend actually using Active Directory there but those client computers are a problem.