Install CAB Files

centi50

Hello, Guys,

I want to Use the CAB File downloaded by Windows update or Microsoft update to update my other laptop, the updates include office updates also. i can copy those upadtes from Software distribution folder under C:\Windows, but

1. Is there a tool that can retrieve those updates from that folder and put it in a folder that i choose.

2. Please can someone give me a script like batch file that can install those CAB files one by one waiting one update to install before going the second one. It will be nice if the batch can search the folder and sub folder for the CAB files and install them without restarting the computer till all the updates have installed then offer you to restart.

Am not a Computer Geek, thats why i ask in this excellent Forum.

Thanking everyone in Advance.

What kind of updates do you mean exactly? :unsure:

The tool you're asking for is called "expand.exe" and should be included in your system.

Thx for the reply, but i want a batch script to do as per question number 2 in my post

I mean CAB files which are downloaded by WU or Thru Microsoft Update website. they are placed in Software distribution folder in Windows directory.

Thanking all in Advance

Edited by centi50

Those cab files are not updates. You can no longer retrieve updates from the software distribution folder.

Your other laptop has no access to the internet?

What service pack an updates have already been applied to your other laptop?

Edited by -X-

Those cab files are not updates. You can no longer retrieve updates from the software distribution folder.

Your other laptop has no access to the internet?

What service pack an updates have already been applied to your other laptop?

No internet, and SP3 with updates till Apr 12

Most Updates in CAB format are usually Drivers or specialized updates.

Drivers can be unzipped/extracted and use the INF file for "Update Driver"

Go to -X- website (in his signature) and check out the list of files (from SP3 through latest). Get them downloaded on a PC connected to the Internet and install to the one not connected. This won't include the "specialized" ones (CABS/z-Zip, etc) that can't be directly installed but can be integrated with nLite. It IS possible to install the "specialized" ones BUT there is no "script" to do it.