W8 Release Preview SHA-1?

johnhc

I DLed the W8 Release Preview (x64 English) yesterday and the SHA-1 did not agree with the one posted on the MS DL site. I re-DLed it today and got the same SHA-1 as yesterday. I got 620133124AF276E4300012148AC81E62557D73A9 for the SHA-1. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks and enjoy, John.

Edited by johnhc

Thanks to both. Have either of you DLed it lately? I am using IE9 on W7 x64 with no DL manager and HashTab 4.0.0. File name is Windows8-ReleasePreview-64bit-English.iso. Hard to believe I got two identical bad DLs.

More hash codes:

CRC32: 4ECB1F5A
MD5: 7C304307B56C4670E0877092D4C82EC7
SHA-1: 620133124AF276E4300012148AC81E62557D73A9

Thanks and enjoy, John.

MagicAndre1981, thanks. A friend DLed it and got the correct SHA-1. I DLed it again using IE9 and got a bad and different SHA-1. I DLed it using Chrome and got a bad and another SHA-1. Something is amiss here. I usually do not use a DL manager, but if you have a free one to recommend, I'll give it a try. Thanks and enjoy, John.

If you are running realtime antivirus, try downloading it again with it disabled.

For example if you are using MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) that little green icon should be red indicating that it is not scanning downloads and other files.

Such realtime programs can affect downloads and even inserting a flashdrive.

Thanks guys. I do not think it is my AV and I am not Torrent inclined. I tried several times more with different bad SHA-1 codes. I Googled "bad hash W8 release preview" and found lots of people with the same problem and I also found a direct link (here) that worked. I realy believe this is an MS problem - even W8 Comsumer Preview had the same problem. I have DLed FDM (Free Download Manager) and will try it later. Thanks for all the comments. Enjoy, John.

Thanks, MagicAndre1981. Interesting results with FDM. It works great, running at my full DL speed but I also have hash problems. When I click the Download button on the MS page (here), I get a bad hash code. When I drag the Download button into the FDM icon, I get a good hash code. The difference is the URL used. When I click on the Download button, FDM DLs from http://iso.esd.microsoft.com/WRPDL/D29D6C5B1D8AF956B5DA9DF738CFD92DFD4F6C8FB/Windows8-ReleasePreview-64bit-English.iso, but when I drag the button to the FDM icon, it DLs from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=251532, the direct link I showed above. Again the direct link works (good hash code) and the button link does not (bad hash code). In the FDM log I see this:

6:36:19 PM 8/13/2012 Checking if download is malicious (see options to disable this)
6:36:21 PM 8/13/2012 OK, FDM's users did not report that this download is malicious
6:36:21 PM 8/13/2012 Starting download...
6:36:21 PM 8/13/2012 Redirecting...
6:36:21 PM 8/13/2012 Redirection succeeded. Opening new URL

I tried running FDM on my VM (VMware Player running W7 x64) and it barely worked at all (indicating 4-8 hours DL for a 15 minute file). Thanks and enjoy, John

I tried running FDM on my VM (VMware Player running W7 x64) and it barely worked at all (indicating 4-8 hours DL for a 15 minute file).
I did not wait for the file initialization to complete. Once completed, the DL went just fine under a VM (100% Maximum DL speed). Enjoy, John.

The problem remains UNRESOLVED. I have DLed the file many times using FDM and it has the wrong SHA-1 most of the time. I am tired of DLing and I am sure the MS server is also, so I give up now that I have a valid copy. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks and enjoy, John.