Why Diablo II can't run under Windows XP Pro??

tigerish

If you've just upgraded to XP, rather than clean install, you probably need to re-install most applications and games that don't work.

You should also check the Diablo II website for any latest patches they may have released for Windows XP compatibility.

Thanks!

I'll try it. But it will waste so much my time!

If you've just upgraded to XP, rather than clean install, you probably need to re-install most applications and games that don't work.

You should also check the Diablo II website for any latest patches they may have released for Windows XP compatibility. [/quote:c49a655b5e]

I asked a friend that plays Diablo II on WinXP Home Edition and he said he has never had any problems and it runs just fine.

He said he installed it normally.

Are you getting any error messages? I hope to get more info today and if anything is pertinent I'll revisit this thread.

MSNwar - The FatMan

In fact when I installed Windows Xp pro, I install the Diablo II. All is fine. But when I run Game.exe or Diablo II.exe, the OS gave me a alert that said this is an illegal program or the program has been damaged. I also uninstalled the Diablo II and run setup again. But the same problem occured finally. Is there any problem of my hardware or I must get some cracks or some service pack for both windows XP and Diablo II???

I am assuming you are running retail editions of XP and Diablo. I am not familiar with those messages unless you are getting the blue screen with this similar message:

"Your computer has performed an illegal operation and windows is shutting down to prevent damage to your computer."

In this event there are a few things you should do:

1. Check the PC hardware/software requirements that Diablo II requires to run. Look at the box for the list or the readme.txt

2. If you recently added any new hardware like a hard drive or RAM try the troubleshooting wizard in the maintenance and performance under control panel.

3. Some games will only run in 256 color mode. Change you display settings to 256 colors. You can always change the settings later. Right-click the desktop and the display applet will open. Select the Settings Tab and make the change. Also check your Video Cards Driver Version and scan for update(s) on the web and your local compueter.

There is a way to make Win98 games run in Win98 mode on WinXP. Use the Help Section, type mode in the search box.

Hope this helps.

MSNwar - The FatMan

My name is MSNwar and I am an MSFN Junkie.

i have winxp pro and diablo ii plays just fine.

try uninstalling the game.

**if you are familiar** , perform a registry search and delete anything that has to with diablo ii. then install again. if it doesnt work, try running it with the compatibility mode.

also, try to dowload the latest patch. it could fix problems concerning xp.

samething here...big diablo fan and have both version on my pc and never had to install a patch, worked great right out of the box. BUT! like aaronXP said make sure all is a new install and not a upgrade install, Makes a world of difference.

-Xperties

BTW tigerish sounds like you have a burnt copy of diablo......shame shame:eek: :eek: :eek: :)