Pre-Beginner Slipstream Questions.

AlwaysLearning

Hello:

I am here to learn about Slipstreaming.

My plan is to use nLite. { LINK }

The MSFN site contains a guide found at { LINK } that seems to be a little old as it references SP2.

This guide at { LINK } appears to be a little more up to date with references to SP3 so that is the one I am currently following.

I have copied my Windows XP Home installation disc to an appropriate folder.

I have downloaded Service Pack 3 { LINK } and saved it to an appropriate folder.

My next step is to collect Hotfixes.

By poking around a bit I stumbled upon this page { LINK } which is exactly what I need.

I downloaded and unzipped { UDC-02.15.12.zip } in an empty folder then ran the batch file per the instructions.

Here is a picture of the folder contents - { PICTURE }

Question1:

Do I copy Everything from here into my 'Hotfixes/Addons' folder for nLite to use or only specific items? If so, which ones?

Also available on that page is an add-on creator { IE8.Add-on.Creator.zip } that will allow Internet Explorer 8 to be slipstreamed using nLite (provided certain files mentioned in the footnotes are replaced).

Again I downloaded and unzipped this to an empty folder and then ran the batch file.

Here is a picture of the folder contents - { PICTURE }

Question2:

Do I copy Everything from here into my 'Hotfixes/Addons' folder for nLite to use or only specific items? If so, which ones?

Thank you for any help you may provide.

AL

Q/A 1: You definitely don't need rows 3&4. -X- (the creator of UDC) might see the post, and he'll tell you for sure.

Q/A 2: You only need IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.OnePiece.... (I can't see the full filename)

Cheers

Sp0iLedBrAt

{ ADVICE 1 } Like this?

{ ADVICE 2 } Only this one?

-X-

No, the screenshots were taken much later.

Does something appear incorrect to you?

•UDC-02.15.12 - Unzip, get this { LINK } run .bat get this { LINK }

•IE8.Add-on.Creator - Unzip, get this { LINK } run .bat get this { LINK }

AL

{ ADVICE 2 } Only this one?

Normally yes but no. Don't use that file. It is too small. The correct size should be 12,392KB. Yours is only 12,153KB.
Does something appear incorrect to you?

Yes. You should have the correct updates and IE8 add-on in the folders. For some reason, the script did not clean up the files that are no longer needed and make the cab add-ons.

I'm not sure what's up. I thought I made it foolproof. You extract the zips, double click the batch files and wait till it's done.

Only thing I can recommend is to start over and let us know how it goes.

It looks OK except you forgot about the footnotes since you are slipstreaming IE8....

1. If you're slipstreaming IE8, replace WindowsXP-KB2647516-x86-ENU.exe with IE8-WindowsXP-KB2647516-x86-ENU.exe.
  2. If you're slipstreaming IE8, replace WindowsXP-KB2510581-x86-ENU.exe with IE8-WindowsXP-KB2510531-x86-ENU.exe.
  3. If you're slipstreaming IE8, replace WindowsXP-KB2544521-x86-ENU.exe with IE8-WindowsXP-KB2544521-x86-ENU.exe.

-X-

I apologize for the delay in responding but SkyDrive (something else I am learning about - and using for the first time with these forums) for some unknown reason started telling me that I could no longer edit the document that I'm using as a basis for this thread. Even now, having started a new document I'm being plagued with a little yellow "Can't Contact Server" notification.

Thanks for the reminder about those three footnote replacement files, I had not completely forgotten about them but do admit to demonstrating behavior thus far that would lead you to believe that I probably would... (more on that to come - much more).

As things stand now, I have combined - UDC-02.15.12 + IE8.Add-on.Creator + Footnote files 4,5,6 - together in my Hotfixes/Addons folder and offer this picture as reference for anyone interested. { LINK }

Rather than sit idly by while SkyDrive was under the weather (possibly, quite literally) I went ahead a tried the whole nLite process.

Everything appears to have gone according to plan and I now have in my possession a fancy new 404MB Slipstreamed Windows XP Home install disc.

As I understand it I should now learn a little about Virtual Machines/Drives and use one of those to test the newly created disc.

Since I know nothing about this I'm looking at VirtualBox which is open source and freely available.

Question 3:

Would you recommend VirtualBox or should I look elsewhere?

Besides trying a test run of nLite during my wait to see if SkyDrive would play nice again, I also looked further into the cause of all this.

WHAT HAPPENED (wherein your opinion of my technical abilities drops even lower)

I now believe that this was all caused by yours truly suffering from a lack of sleep and not thinking straight or paying attention.

When I initially ran these files COMODO Internet Security Premium would have popped up its offer to run them sandboxed.

I'm fairly certain that I clicked "Do not offer to sandbox again" but failed to cancel out of the app and start over fresh - essentially meaning that they were run sandboxed and thus denied the ability to do something integral.

"I'm not sure what's up. I thought I made it foolproof. You extract the zips, double click the batch files and wait till it's done."

… you may rest easy once more.

AL