Checking Video Perfomance hang

Recently im having problems with my installations over network using server 2008r2. Im getting stuck at "Setup is checking video performance" I checked all the logs inside "Panther" folder and inside WDS server and found no errors. I tryed disabling all the drivers, also no luck.

Server was running for 1year without problems and installed over 500 images, and nothing was changed on it..

Now whats even stupider if i start installation again (format disk again and put it to install over network again), installation goes just fine and windows passes "checking video performance" and boots into windows.

Than again i tryed re-installing this other laptop 3 times and it was stuck again..

Does anyone has any idea where should i start looking for a fix for the problem, as this is so weird and it confuses me that i dont know what to do...

integrate the latest graphic drivers into the image and try again.

I did try latest drivers, i tryed older ones also, i tryed without drivers.

Any pc should be able to boot without any graphics drivers added, and as i wrote, if i simple try installing it again without changing anything on server than it goes just fine..

I have this problem intermittantly when deploying to the Intel DH61AG. Unfortunately, I never got a chance to troubleshoot it.

Here's a very simple solution to this problem which i just tested as i couldn't find real fix.

Rename C:\Windows\System32\WinSAT.exe -> "_WinSAT.exe"

Windows will not run WinSAT anymore, and even make installation go faster and Aero was still enabled for me without problems.

Than you can make a one time run script (i have user autlogon and puted this bat in startup folder)

ren C:\Windows\System32\_WinSAT.exe WinSAT.exe
del %0

Renames WinSAT to original name and bat deletes it self.

• 1 month later...

You guys are right. The problem is Windows System Assessment Tests (WinSAT) program. I had such problems while I was experimenting my unattended install of Win7 on a virtual machine. Every time that I saw the message checking video performance, my virtual machine crashed. My advise is to run the System Assesment Test manually (WinSAT.exe dwm) or from the GUI (click Start, type performance, click on Performance Information and Tools, and run the assessment), rename the resulting xml in c:\windows\performance\winsat\datastore\ (it will have DWM as part of the name) changing whatever is in parentheses on the name to Prepop. For example: 2012-04-26-13.45.043.### DWM.Assesment (First assessment).WinSAT.xml will need to be renamed as 2012-04-26-13.45.043.### DWM.Assesment (Prepop).WinSAT.xml. I'm sure that if you copy that file from another system and rename it as I indicated, it will also work (I haven't tried that though). If you do that, just remember to rerun the tests once your computer is up and running.