Program to monitor router traffic?

Hi.

I'm fairly new to working with router, and the such. I was wondering if anyone could make me a recommendation for monitoring my router traffic?

I'm trying to determine whether someone has been leaching off my internet. I was hoping it would be possible to use a program (GUI enabled if possible) to see all devices connected to the router, and maybe even identity them.

I'm fairly new to working with router, and the such. I was wondering if anyone could make me a recommendation for monitoring my router traffic?

I'm trying to determine whether someone has been leaching off my internet. I was hoping it would be possible to use a program (GUI enabled if possible) to see all devices connected to the router, and maybe even identity them.

Since you are new to this I'll give you the cliff notes. Assuming you have a typical router with ethernet ports on it as well as wireless transmitting and receiving. Specific terminology varies from router to router, the details below are pretty much using Cisco Linksys verbiage ...

- Grab yourself an ethernet cable and connect your computer using this cable to one of the router's outputs (note that there is also one input already connected to your Cable or DSL or FIOS or whatever modem).

- Find the Instructions that came with your router and look for the mention of the URL you need to type in to your web browser in order to access the router's configuration. It should look something like this: 192.168.1.1

- Once you are browsing the router config pages you will likely need the default password (also in your manual). And, you really should change this to something else (save the changes and write it down).

To secure your router there are two main ways, I always suggest doing both but at least do the first one ...

(1) Under Wireless Security you will want to switch to WPA2 (not DISABLED and not WEP) and add a password aka Shared Key. Make it a long complicated phrase. Note that this will need to be entered once one each wireless device that tries to communicate with your router.

The other line of defense is to use MAC Filtering. In a nutshell, this creates a whitelist of wireless devices allowed to use the router (and they still need to know the password as well). Any device not listed (the MAC address is what is actually listed) is effectively blacklisted, it never even gets the opportunity to try a password. Note, that this MAC filtering takes some practice to master, usually the MAC address is not printed on a nice sticker on every Wi-Fi device. Also note that enabling MAC filtering means this: when your buddy comes over with his laptop or iPad or whatever, they will not be using your home Wi-Fi unless you go through the trouble of adding their MAC address *and* you give them the password. Or you could temporarily disable MAC filtering while they visit (they'll need the password though). Or you could just let them plug into the Router using an ethernet cable if they have such a port. This is the part that takes some patience. Gathering up all the MAC addresses of all the iPhones, Laptops, iPads, eBook readers, Netbooks and whatever comes next is a pain in the butt. It is the reason many people do not bother. However, this two pronged defense makes it impossible for anyone to leach your bandwidth without physical access to your router, or one of your allowed devices. How it's done:

(2) Under Wireless MAC Filter you would ENABLE the function and then select PERMIT ONLY devices listed. Clicking into the EDIT MAC Filter List is where you can add the actual addresses. With a bit of practice you will learn how to grab an unknown MAC of a device that hides it (iPhone, iPad) by first DISABLEing the MAC Filtering, then copying the MAC address from the CLIENT LIST, then reENABLEing the MAC Filtering and then adding this address. There might even be an easier way these days.

There is even more stuff that can be done, like enabling logging, renaming the router's signal (what other people see) or hiding the router's signal name altogether (disable the SSID broadcast) and constraining internet access, setting caps, and complicated port management. All of this is simple to learn by Googling. But the two main things I mentioned above are the locks on the door that will make it impossible for leeches to use your bandwidth, which is very important. Remeber that you need to SAVE your changes that you make when you adjust the settings.

BTW, the answer to the first question is NO. You will not use software from the client side of the router to do the job that the router itself is equipped to do. If you are trying to set up a trap or something you cannot do it with consumer equipment (well not easily). But what you can do is this: lock down your router as described above just at the moment you believe someone is busy gaming away your bandwidth on Crysis, and then open your windows and listen for their screams when their leeched connection is suddenly dropped. Then you will know who the culprit is :lol: