Remembering customizing Services console and windows resizing

videobruce

I have looked high and low to fix the problem of remembering changes to the Services console that I use all the time with no avail. I go through the process (as hidden Admin) by using the 'Author' right click option, uncheck the 'do not save changes' option, but it won't allow overwriting the existing Services console file.

I then tried renaming the file with a "1" after the name, it saved it, but only limited changes where saved. What happened to the change attribute fix in XP that worked fine?

I can't beleive M$ has done this. For what purpose????? :realmad:

Edited by videobruce

You must run the MMC snapin in author mode, save the changes into a new MSC. Next you must take ownership of the original file and replace them in the System32 folder.

Caution: This generates warning when you run sfc /scannow. It detects the files are damaged. I also gave it up, that MS stores the preferences in a better way. MMC needs to be replaced by a better way. It is simply too old (NT4 days) and unsable with UAC and TrustedInstaller.

yes, with XP you have admin rights. NEVER DISABLE UAC, 90% of the security vulnerabilities are caused by running with admin rights. So turn it on and use my workaround. I customized the Snapins once and if I reinstall I mount the WIM and copy the files in the WIM.

I did find that you can rename that file and save it, but you still have the problem of window size and a new problem of sorting columns. You use to be able to sort each column and it would remember that sort even after you sort another. Keeping the list in alphabetical under 'Name', active under 'Status' and Automatic under 'Startup.

Now, there seems to be a glitch when trying to do the same where the Startup doesn't completely remember the order by placing all services that are in 'Auto' at the top when all three columns are sorted. This makes it real easy to see whats' what.

See the attachment for my example with XP. All three columns are in decending order showing names alphabetically, then the running services and lastly, services set for 'Auto' at the top.

post-107083-0-22870900-1326119298_thumb.

Edited by videobruce

here seems to be a glitch when trying to do the same where the Startup doesn't completely remember the order by placing all services that are in 'Auto' at the top when all three columns are sorted. This makes it real easy to see whats' what.

No glitch. All three columns are sorted, Status was sorted last. The reason a few of the 'Automatic' services are separated in the last column is those have not not started. This seems to be the logical way to show the list. Alphabetically, status then startup type, I can instantly see what is running, the type it is set for and it is listed in alphabetically order. One of a few M$ programs that is user friendly (after you set it up correctly). :whistle:

From elsewhere I discovered that with this newly created duplicate 'Service's' file, If I open the file in Notepad and edit the top and bottom figures at the top of the overly long page that opens to "2" and "870" which is the top and bottom of a 1600x900 Laptop screen that I am using, then save it, the newly created Services console will open full height. I don't need a wider console window, just higher.

For a 1920x1200 window it would be 2 & 1170:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<MMC_ConsoleFile ConsoleVersion="3.0" ProgramMode="Author">

<ConsoleFileID>{DDCA210D-FFD3-4DB2-95C7-932732EC0CB9}</ConsoleFileID>

<FrameState ShowStatusBar="true">

<WindowPlacement ShowCommand="SW_SHOWNORMAL">

<Point Name="MinPosition" X="-1" Y="-1"/>

<Point Name="MaxPosition" X="-1" Y="-1"/>

<Rectangle Name="NormalPosition" Top="-2" Bottom="1171" Left="258" Right="1174"/>

Edited by videobruce