VPN / VNC on Windows 7

Stevebooth

Hi All,

I'm not sure if this is posted in the right thread, but I didn't see a forum dedicated to RDP, VNC or VPN.

Anyway my problem is this. I have a client who owns 2 clothing shops, both only have one PC which is also used as the cash register. My client would like to remote access both these PC's without interfering with the cash operations I.e Retail manager. I have shown her VNC and Logmein options but they are no good as they are basically remote assist options. She would like to be able to work with a quickbooks file on each PC remotely without taking over the windows session.

I also attempted to set up a windows 7 VPN following a detailed video guide, but the connection cannot be established. I have forwarded port 5900 as required to no avail. I have even tried moving the PC to the DMZ, and disabling the firewall on the PC. No luck.

As far as i can tell there is no option for PPTP passthrough on the modem, also I beleive this is only good for a single client? My customer would need 2 connection?

So my questions are:

1. Is there a way to use VNC without it taking over the current windows session?

2. Is there a easy reliable way to use VPN without the use of a dedicated server?

3. Is it worth looking into a VPN router or is this moot due to the modems lack of capability as a passthrough?

Hope you guys can help.

Thanks

Steve

1. Is there a way to use VNC without it taking over the current windows session?

2. Is there a easy reliable way to use VPN without the use of a dedicated server?

3. Is it worth looking into a VPN router or is this moot due to the modems lack of capability as a passthrough?

1 - unfortunately, no. Windows XP only legally allows one interactive session at a time (as does Vista, 7, etc). If you want terminal services, you have to pay for a server license and install that.

2 - reliable is relative, but if you mean a direct VPN connection to the client, no - this would require server (as above) or dedicated hardware to handle endpoint connectivity.

3 - If you can already make connections (and can pass port 3389 or another configured port already), then this isn't really necessary. If you want multiple logins, though, you need server. Client can do this if illegally hacked, but we don't discuss things of that nature here, and it will likely cause system instability anyway (and I don't think that's desired on something as important as a POS system).