Windows Updates Issue

EagleWing

In the past couple of months I have noticed when I go to update (using MS Windows Update) my XP SP3 Pro, that when my machine reboots after updating it does not even start windows. It just ccontinues to reboot and reboot.. So the only thing I can do is, reformat my drive and reinstall XP and then disable windows update. But before I do that I do install teh updates I know that will not corrupt my OS. I avoid installing any of the new security updates as they are the ones that corrupt my OS. So, does anyone have any idea what the hell cause this issue?? Anixous to see any and all suggestions, ideas , solutions, etc.

If you post more infos like logs or stop error (if it's rebooting automatically then it might might be because of a crash), someone might be able to help you but without any info all i can tell is my XP SP3 is up to date with all security fix and still boot (and i am not alone in this case).

So it could be anything from an incompatible driver to an incompatible antivirus or a blacklisted key (it shouldn't reboot in this last case).

The version of XP pro I use is preactivated and does not require a key. Also I have modded it to my personal preference. Meaning I integrated driverpacks from driverpack.net as well as Xable's update SP3 update pack version 3.09 which was released last April, but since then updated have done nothing but corrupt my OS. I am going to build another using Xable's latest SP3 update pack and the latest drive packs maybe that will solve the problem. We'll see.

As far as i know, only unattended XP install doesn't require a key and every xp need activation except those with a volume licence key.

But without log or the stop error number, nobody will be able to help you even if you provide more info about your install cd (that isn't an untouched XP CD).

If you have an untouched XP install CD, i would recommend you to integrate properly sp3 then all security updates (it already very well documented here in the forum).

MS really doesn't want us using XP anymore, so it's no wonder that so many people are complaining about MS Updates corrupting their OS.

I permanently solved the problem on my own XP system by just shutting off Auto Updates. No problemo! Then don't use I.E. ever again.

Just a thought from one Old Timer

B)

You might want to turn off the automatic reboots on system crashes. Right-click My Computer->Properties->Advanced tab->Startup and Recovery section->Settings. From there, uncheck Automatically restart under the System failure section. This way the next time you apply patches and it crashes, you should at least have a BSOD to read. Otherwise, you could boot from a WinPE CD and review the minidump files or patch logs.

I do have an untouched version of XP Pro SP3 as I mentioned it does not require activation. I did download it from the net and I assume that it was hacked or cracked by whomever uploaded it originally. I modify my version of XP to my preference and integrate only Onepiece's post SP3 update pack. I have noticed that whether it be Onepiece's or someone else's update pack that when one runs MS update there are several security/windows updates that are already supposedly installed. At any rate my cure for this issue was not to install any ms security or windows updates. Anyway thanks for the replys.