SSD SAS RAID on a Dell PowerEdge R710 - possible?

tarquel

Hi all

Planning to setup a (well, two really) super beast(s) of a MS SQL server.

We have a pretty beefing Dell PowerEdge R710 that was running as part of a VMware ESXi/vSphere cluster, but now due to it being replaced with R810's, is free for this purpose.

It uses SAS hotswap drives - up to 6 - and can do all the usual RAID levels.

We really want to go for SSD's but, despite my googling at least, I'm not turning up much info about what would be the best setup to use.

As far as native SSD's with SAS interfaces on them, there seems to be virtually no options. Have only really found:

http://www.span.com/index.php?cPath=73_490_1475

but is pretty high in the pocket department (expected to some degree i know). I'm informed that Seagate are bringing out a SAS type of SSD next month but dont have the details to hand on that.

Was wondering whether anyone out there has set up a SQL server with RAIDed [say a RAID 5 or 10) using SSD's or anything similar to what we are planning that might be able to suggest anything?

Was also wondering if there was a way to use the existing caddy's we have, and somehow put a normal SATA SSD with some sort of adapter etc.

[Excuse the lack of technical specifics here - i'm just thinking out loud while in a meeting about something else ;)]

Cheers

Just for your last question: usually sas connectors works on sata drives (and not the other way around).

If you really want a very high speed, you might be also intereted in fusionio solutions but those are pci-express. HP is begining to use those in thiers servers and blade.