win7 with MDT on local setup

I am using MDT 2010 on a ‘Technician computer running win7Prx 64 on it’. I want to create a ‘unattend.xml’ [Answer file] and winPE Bootable DVD/media.

OS Media of Win 7 Prox64 is on a DVD for now.

On a ‘reference comp’ I am going to install all software and updates [Audit mode with Sysprep]

Now, I would like to capture this image off from ref. computer.

I want to make a ‘master bootable USB’ to deploy this captured image with all drivers/sw/applications on other ‘ Atom based computers’ [same brand/model/specifications].

No network/server are involved.

How can I make that ‘Master USB Pen Drive’ to boot other comp, format their existing C: drive and Deploy my modified win7x64 image?

Please help me. There are few guidelines on ms website for MDT but not too user-friendly for me at least.

Also, on what stage we should use Bitlocker:- is it possible encrypt the HDD with Bitlocker of the ‘ref. comp’ and then capture the modified image to deploy?

Edited by nyorker

To answer your second question first, configure bitlocker via the MDT wizard - it will encrypt the drive while the install progresses. This is the quickest way, and if you don't need the entire drive totally encrypted before doing anything else that is the "proper" way.

As to your first question, I decided to simply provide you a link that should help you find everything you need to make an MDT distribution and put it on a USB key:

http://tinyurl.com/3zl938r

The first link should be the most useful.

Yes, I want to encrypt the HDD with Bitlocker before doing anything on the target machines.

Thanks for the links, I read the 1st link earlier, and it has really good info for small [er] guys like me.

If there is a further link/post for :- " ALL of this can be automated via entries into the “Rules” tab and Bootstrap.ini of the media share".

If I plan to manipulate and customize the OS Image on MDT, how do i know what drivers are needed for target/destination PC? is there anyway I could know the required drivers to be included on MDT's customized OS. Suggestion of vendor's website will not help much.

Thanks a lot

Edited by nyorker

After reading here and there what I gather is that I can use MDT 2010 either to :-

[1] Install the reference computer and manually perform customization on it and capture the image

[2] Image customization is done using MDT alone on a reference image

What is better approach and less tricky.

Seconf Q: To encrypt the HardDisk of the target machine with Bitlocker, the CustomSettings.ini file should have this:

SkipBitLocker=YES

Or SkipBitLocker =NO

3rd Q:- I want to give each compute a name like PC1, 2, 3 ….What should I do, on MDT2010?

Hoping to get more suggestions. Thanks a lot

What you need to do is start reading the help - all of the possible options are there. Here's my own customsettings.ini that I use, that automates most everything and has most options specified (even if they're not automated). You can get FAR more creative than this, but this is a start:

[Settings]
Priority=ByLaptopType,ByDesktopType,ByServerType,TaskSequenceID,Default
Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]
OSInstall=Y

UserID=Administrator
UserDomain=DEMO
UserPassword=Password1

OrgName=Organization
FullName=User
AdminPassword=Password1

;JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP
JoinDomain=DEMO
DomainAdmin=Administrator
DomainAdminDomain=DEMO
DomainAdminPassword=Password1

_SMSTSORGNAME=Demo Build

WSUSServer=http://MDT
SLShare=\\MDT\Build$\Logs

;BDEInstallSupporess=YES
BDEInstallSuppress=NO
BDEInstall=TPMPin
BDEKeyLocation=C:
BDEPin=12345678
BDERecoveryKey=AD
BDEWaitForEncryption=TRUE

UILanguage=en-us
UserLocale=en-us
KeyboardLocale=en-us;0409:00000409
TimeZone=035
TimeZoneName=Eastern Standard Time

SkipAdminPassword=YES
SkipApplications=NO
SkipAppsOnUpgrade=NO
SkipBDDWelcome=YES
SkipBitLocker=NO
SkipBitLockerDetails=NO
SkipCapture=NO
SkipComputerName=NO
SkipDomainMembership=YES
SkipFinalSummary=YES
SkipLocaleSelection=YES
SkipPackageDisplay=YES
SkipProductKey=YES
SkipSummary=YES
SkipTaskSequence=NO
SkipTimeZone=YES
SkipUserData=YES

UserDataLocation=NONE
FinishAction=RESTART

[ByLaptopType]
Subsection=Laptop-%IsLaptop%

[Laptop-True]
OSDComputerName=LAPTOPCHANGEME

[ByDesktopType]
Subsection=Desktop-%IsDesktop%

[Desktop-True]
OSDComputerName=DESKTOPCHANGEME

[ByServerType]
Subsection=Server-%IsServer%

[Server-True]
OSDComputerName=SERVERCHANGEME

I am not too familiar with customsettings.ini settings. Also, most of the settings are for networked/domain setup. I don't have a domain, just a workgroup.

with the help of the link you posted I am making a reference image on a USB stick/key. The problem I face are:-

[1] Do i have to format the USB stick in a specific format/way to make it a boot-able Image[ as per the link, just copy the content]

[2] Target PC has its own OS and partition on C: drive. Do I have to format that C : drive manually before I could install the customized Image on it created by MDT n a USB Stick ?

[3] There are 2 images on /boot folder on my Deployment share- ,iso and wim, Which Image is to be used to make a winPE Bootabel USB stick/

Thanks

#1 - already answered on my blog you'll find at the link above

#2 - No

#3 - Let MDT handle it for you - technically it's boot.wim, but you don't need to do that. The tools will handle that for you.

Thanks a lot for the response.

Here are few doubts:

• 1 # My USB is FAT32 type formatted. Does it have to be NTFS type if it is more/less than 8Gb?

• 2 # After creating the Media on a USB and then deploying the Image on a PC, what happens to the existing partitions on that PC? [ I am following just according to the link, no more addition]

• 3# If I want to make a Bootable USB stick as my winPE, what should I do? Should I just copy the boot.wim on the USB stick [ other from above mentioned] to make it a bootable winPE.

After tuning a bit and experimenting, I have a Media Build for the installs on PCs that do not have any network access.

I had some problem with the DVD Drive Burner today, not the ISO burning application. I want to burn that .iso image [3.2 Gb] from updated Media Folder onto a DVD drive.

My Q is: Is that iso image going to be the final, individual, master Image of the win7 that I built on MDT with software/Applications and hardware Drivers. Or its just a Boot Image to get connected to the Deployment share for updates of images. In addition, would I be able to install the OS [win7x86] with that .iso on the notebooks without a network/internet/domain? I am asking this to make myself clear as I read that MDT is for networked setup.

Also, How can I format the HDD partitions on those PCs as a single C: partition with MDT's Media while installing the Images?

Edited by nyorker

The media point ISO is your entire build point, which is meant to be used offline. If your USB key is bootable (FAT32 is fine, although NTFS is preferred due to FAT32's file size limitations), you can simply place the contents of the ISO onto your USB key and install from there.

Trial and error, my friend. That's how you learn.

I followed the link step by step the link

After importing OSystem, creating Task Sequence ID, finally I created a New Media and Updated the Media under Advanced Configuration on my workbench. The created a media share folder has a Content and LITETouch.ISO image on my C: drive.

On the Media Update wizard, General Rule of the Media is set to Default and Bootstarp.ini is also not modified/customized. MEDIA Properties are set to “All Drivers and Packages”. A Standard Template is selected.

Media Folder was created ‘successfully.’

I copied the content of the ‘Content’ folder to the root of my 8 Gb, FAT32 USBKey[uFD].

Also, I burnt that LITETouch .iso from Media share folder on to a DVD.

Now here is what happens:-

[1] When I start a PC or other with the DVD, it boots up reads some scripts from the DVD.After a while “Run the Deployment Wizard” appears to Install the OS [ same as pic #3 on the link. ]

Also, there is an option at the bottom to configure the static IP with DHCP. Although, I am not connected to any network.

The process halts at ‘Select a TASK to execute on this computer’.

Why I don’t know???

[2] When I boot from the USB that I created as per the link, after selecting the BIOS Boot Order, I get a blinking cursor; and nothing happens [As its pointed out by one of the reader on that link].

On the USB Key what are the files and folder to be copied. Its not clear from the link its mentioned later on the link that some other folder/files are to be copied on the USB.

But its not clear from which folder or from where to copy and what to copy on the USB.

On the USB I have just the ‘Content’ files of the Media Folder.

Can you make it a bit clear for me about what should be on the USB Key[uFD] ?

Thanks

Edited by nyorker

There are two iso. One is in the \Boot folder of Deployment Share and another one is Media Share.

by saying 'Content of the ISO' you mean after burning the .iso on a DVD whatever files/folders it creates on that DVD?

I am just making it clear for myself.

thanks for helping. I am waiting for my 1st successful window 7 installation with these steps.

Edited by nyorker

[1] After creating a New Media I right click on Media and select Properties and select the following:

General- profile- Everything

-Generates a ISO touch bootable ISO image platform supported x86 and x64 boot image.

-Rule are at default:

-Priority default

-There is no Task Sequence ID in the Rule Tab !!!

[2] Right click and Updated the Media.

It copies x64 and x86 WIM from source, applications, generates ISO file etc.

It successfully creates media ISO and Content folder on Media Share/Point.

[3] A USB disk is formatted as per the link.

The contents of the Content folder in Media folder is copied to the root of USB/UFD.

Now its not clear what other files should be copied to the USB from the Deployment Share folder.

On the link, at the comment part it is said that the Operating System Folder from Deployment Share should be copied to the Content\Operating Systems to the USB, too.

Its not clear to me...please make it more clear for me . ..Mean while i copied the Operating System folder from Deplyment share to the Content\Operating Systems to the USB.

The instalation/Deployment starts but hangs at 'Welcome Wizard' asking for Deplyment Share -X:\Deploy.....

[ format \\server\share or \\server] but as u know I dont have a server.

Thanks

Edited by nyorker

[1] After creating a New Media I right click on Media and select Properties and select the following:

—General- profile- Everything

-Generates a ISO touch bootable ISO image platform supported x86 and x64 boot image.

-Rule are at default:

-Priority default

-There is no Task Sequence ID in the Rule Tab !!!

[2] Right click and Updated the Media.

It copies x64 and x86 WIM from source, applications, generates ISO file etc.

It successfully creates media ISO and Content folder on Media Share/Point.

[3] A USB disk is formatted as per the link.

The contents of the Content folder in Media folder is copied to the root of USB/UFD.

Now its not clear what other files should be copied to the USB from the Deployment Share folder.

On the link, at the comment part it is said that the Operating System Folder from Deployment Share should be copied to the Content\Operating Systems to the USB, too.

Its not clear to me...please make it more clear for me . ..Mean while i copied the Operating System folder from Deplyment share to the Content\Operating Systems to the USB.

The instalation/Deployment starts but hangs at 'Welcome Wizard' asking for Deplyment Share -X:\Deploy.....

[ format \\server\share or \\server] but as u know I dont have a server.

Thanks

I am having similar issues with this now. Before today this just wasnt a problem with it pointing to a server but now its asking. I have no idea what I changed. As for as the task sequence issue just make sure your selection profile you choose at before creating the media has the task sequence folder selected otherwise you wont see anything.

@gotenks98

Have you managed to deploy win7, locally, without the support of any server?????

I gave up, for now, as no one is answering?

I conclude that MDT is configured to work on a sever with WDS. One [like me] can not make a win7cutomize image to install window 7 on numbers of computers that are not part of a network / domain .

Edited by nyorker