Underwater (uwater) screensaver on XP

Steven W

Setting up a PC for a friend, she wants the Underwater Screensaver (I think it originally shipped with Windows 98). I recall that it was part of the Plus! For Kids pack, and you can download a Demo of that here that comes with the Underwater theme and screensaver:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/deskapps/kids/kidplusd.exe

Tried to run the exe, it whines that it's not meant for this version of Windows. Extracted it with 7-zip, Copied Uwater.scr and Uwater.dll to the System32 folder, double-clicked the SCR file and screen just went blank. So copied all these files to the System32 folder:

kpsetup.dll

Uwater.dll

Uwater.scr

wl32dll.dll

wildlb32.dll

Voila, double-clicking the SCR now works. One problem, it doesn't come up in XP's list of screensavers. When I bring up that dialog it's simply not there. I suppose, maybe, I could set up a folder with all the files extracted and try to get XP to use the theme file, but would prefer not to.

Any ideas?

Edit: kpsetup.dll is unnecessary.

Edited by Steven W

Well, it may have already been there.. it's called Wildlife 32 (probably explains the names of the other DLLs). I just changed the registry

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Scrnsave.exe

to point to Uwater.scr, and that's what came up. I was looking for underwater or uwater. So, problem solved.

Thanks for the prompt reply dencorso. Hehe, I did try what you suggested a few minutes before changing the registry.

Edited by Steven W