Unattended Windows 2000 - Set Default Wallpaper For All Users?

Hello,

I'd like to make an unattended Windows 2000 Professional installation. I'd like to modify it so that a wallpaper is applied as 'centered' and change the background colour around the wallpaper. This on it's own is pretty easy... but how do i do this for not just the first 'Administrator' account - but all new accounts created thereafter? I'd like to set these settings for when no user is logged on also - if i can?

I understand most concepts of unattended installs (winnt.sif, cmdlines, oem folders etc) so could a more advanced user please give me a hand with this?

Thanks for your time.

You would have to use the reg load command to load NTUSER.DAT from Default User. Then reg add, reg unload, etc. I don't have the exact syntax but if you type reg at a command prompt you can perhaps figure it out.

Yeah, this only needs to be done once during setup. Once you modify the default ntuser.dat any accounts created will have those settings applied.

I had a read about NTUSER.DAT and unattended installations including a couple of threads here on MSFN. From what i understand.. this is what i have to do?

1. Create a new account

2. Log on to the account

3. Set the wallpaper c:\wallpaper.bmp as centered and set the desktop background colour

4. Apply changes.

5. Log off the account

6. Log on to another account.

7. Copy the NTUSER.DAT file from the account i just created and set the wallpaper/desktop bg colour for

Then place the following files in my $OEM$ directories on my Windows 2000 CD (With WINNT.SIF configured for OEM pre-install folders enabled)

$OEM$\$1\wallpaper.bmp

$OEM$\$1\Documents and Settings\Default User\NTUSER.DAT

Then when i burn the image to CD, install Windows 2000, login to the administrator account (first account) it should have the wallpaper.bmp set as centered with whatever desktop background colour i set previously AND these settings will also be applied to all future user accounts created?

Thanks for your help :)

EDIT: How can i edit the NTUSER.DAT in a text editor? I'd like to change the "C:\wallpaper.jpg" to read "%systemdrive%\wallpaper.jpg" in case i install Windows on a drive letter other than C:

Edited by Mortagen

I had a read about NTUSER.DAT and unattended installations including a couple of threads here on MSFN. From what i understand.. this is what i have to do?

Not 100% sure but that should work.

$OEM$\$1\Documents and Settings\Default User\NTUSER.DAT

Should be $OEM$\$Docs\Default User but I guess your way will work too.

How can i edit the NTUSER.DAT in a text editor?

You can't. You need to load it in regedit and edit it there.

Start regedit, highlight HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, click on file, load hive, browse to ntuser,dat, give it a name, edit it, click file,, unload hive.

Don't do your step 5 and after as ntuser.Dat might contain the login hardcoded:

5 - export this registry branch as for desktop_settings.reg:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

6 - logofff

7 - copy your files to $oem$

8 - edit with notepad the file desktop_settings.reg and replace "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\" with "HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\" and save

9 - create a runonce using the tutorial there

10 - The needed command will be something like this depending on where you copy the .reg:

regedit /s %systemdrive%\desktop_settings.reg

You should have what you wanted with this.

Also if you need to edit anything in ntuser.dat use regedit and regedt32.

Edited by allen2

8 - edit with notepad the file desktop_settings.reg and replace "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\" with "HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\" and save

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\ is the hive the SYSTEM uses when no one is logged it. It's not a template that new accounts use. Documents and Settings\Default User\NTUSER.DAT is the template that's used to create new accounts.

I don't have a 2000 to try but i was remembering doing it like this.

So he will need to have 2 reg files one (the original desktop_settings.reg) and the second edited to have the wallpaper set when noone is loggeg on.

He'll need to add two commands runonce :

- one for the system profile

- the second to add a reg entry under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" with a value named desktop_settings which will launch a batch %systemroot%\desktop_settings.cmd like this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"desktop_settings"="%systemroot%\\desktop_settings.cmd"

desktop_settings.cmd:

regedit /s %systemdrive%\desktop_settings.reg

I did all of the above instructed by you, X. I did the regedit and modified the NTUSER.DAT to say %WINDIR%\Wallpaper.bmp instead of C:\Windows\Wallpaper.bmp

Now when i install Windows, everything gets copied from my OEM folders (the wallpaper to the windows directory, various other stuff to program files, all users desktops etc... but NTUSER.DAT isn't being copied into the Default User folder?

Is it something to do with the Default User folder and NTUSER.DAT being hidden?

Thanks for your help.

I'll worry about the HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\ registry stuff for when no user is logged on after i get this first bit sorted.

Regards, Ben

You are going to have to do it the way I first suggested. I'll try to help you out and figure out the exact syntax but give me a while.

Sorry for the delay. Here's the syntax...

REG LOAD "HKU\CUSTOM" "%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\Default User\NTUSER.DAT"

REG ADD "HKU\CUSTOM\Control Panel\Colors" /v Background /d "0 0 0" /f

REG ADD "HKU\CUSTOM\Control Panel\Desktop" /v Wallpaper /d %SystemRoot%\Wallpaper.bmp /f

REG UNLOAD HKU\CUSTOM

Change "0 0 0" in the 2nd one to anything you like. "0 0 0" = black

Change %SystemRoot%\Wallpaper.bmp in the 3rd one to anything you like. %SystemRoot%\Wallpaper.bmp = C:\Windows\Wallpaper.bmp (presuming C:\Windows is where the OS is installed)

I suggest you create a batch script with the commands in your $OEM$ folders and call it from GuiRunOnce.

Edited by -X-