SquidNT for Windows + Ad and Malware / Virus Blocking

maxamoto

I've developed an installable version of SquidNT. Basically, the program installs SquidNT for Windows (tested on WinXP, Vista and 7), incorporates an ad and virus / malware blocklist about 10K URLs strong and runs as a service. It also has the potential to speed up browsing by caching common page infos on the hard drive for later fetching. I'm interested in the community testing this out for me and letting me know of any issues they run in to. Also, if there are any Squid gurus out there who have input regarding the way I've configured squid.conf, I would love to hear what you have to say. The program is free as Squid is free; I've just packaged it up as a nice, easy installer (maybe silent is in the future?). I have made NO modifications to the original SquidNT code, and take no credit for anything the developers of Squid, the guys at Acme Consulting, Guido Serassio or Romeo Anghelache have done with Squid or "SquidNT".

The .exe can be downloaded from Here. Make sure you save it and run it locally, as installing it from the server seems to cause it to fail halfway though.

And here's the ReadMe

About SquidNT:

SquidNT was a port of the Squid proxy server to Microsoft's Windows NT-based operating systems. The SquidNT effort has since then been merged into the main Squid project (September 2006) and is maintained by Guido Serassio, one of the core developers of Squid. The name SquidNT is still often used for referring to Squid running on Windows but is not an official name. The official name is Squid regardless of platform.

Squid for Windows may be installed and run from the command line. It may also be installed as a Windows service. There is no graphical user interface.

Squid for Windows can run on the following Windows operating systems:

Microsoft Windows NT 4.0

Microsoft Windows 2000

Microsoft Windows XP

Microsoft Windows Server 2003

Microsoft Windows Vista

Microsoft Windows Server 2008

Microsoft Windows 7

Full Wikipedia article can be found here

Edited by maxamoto

• 6 months later...