update.inf - ",,,8" at the and of an .dll file?

Does anyone know what function the ",,,8" at the end of a .dll file has? Ex.

sp3res.dll,,,8

What is the difference between the 'sp3res.dll' and 'sp3res.dll,,,8'?

Also sometimes you can see the same file twice one after another, ex.

sp3res.dll
sp3res.dll

Do you know what's the reason for it? Is it just a mistake done by M$?

Personally I haven't noticed any difference while installing the updates. I would just like to know whether it makes any difference or not :)

Edited by tomasz86

Its a copy and/or delete file flag

destination-file-name(, source-file-name)(, temporary-file-name)(, flag)

destination-file-name

Name of the destination file. If no source filename is given, this is also the name of the source file.

source-file-name

Name of the source file. If the source and destination filenames for the file copy operation are the same,

this is not required.

temporary-file-name

Name of a temporary file for the file copy operation. The installer copies the source file but gives it the

temporary file name. The next time the operating system starts, it renames the temporary file to the

destination file name. This is useful for copying files to a destination which is currently open or in use

by Windows.

If the file is not in use by Windows, use flag 8 to force it to use the temporary name. This will only

work if the file already exists in in the target folder. To get around this, first copy the file into the folder,

then use flag 8 to copy it again.

flag

Optional parameter used to perform special actions during the installation process. Multiple flags can be

used by adding the values to create the combined flag. The following valid flags can be used:

Value/Meaning

1 On CopyFiles: Warn if user tries to skip file.

1 On DelFiles: If file is in use, queue up delayed delete in wininit.ini. Otherwise an in-use file

will not be deleted.

2 Setup Critical: don't allow user to skip file.

4 Ignore version check and always copy file. This will overwrite a newer file.

8 Force Rename (trick engine into thinking that file is in use). Note: Only happens if file

already exists on target.

16 If file already exists on target, don't copy.

32 Suppress version conflict dialog and don't overwrite newer files.

Edited by ricktendo64

Thanks for an express reply :)

So 8 means "Force Rename"... what does it really do when we have for example:

kernel32.dll

and

kernel32.dll,,,8

?

What effect will this "force rename" have when such a hotfix is installed? Could you explain it more specifically?

Also I have another question :)

Is it possible to set several flags next to one file?

Is it possible to set several flags next to one file?

I added more info to my first response

Yes you can use multiple file flags, just add them together

BTW dl this file http://www.sokoolz.com/addons/r64/ADVANCED_INF.pdf and check out these videos

http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?/topic/2619-video-how-to-make-a-inf-theme-addon/

http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?/topic/2652-video-how-to-make-a-inf-program-addon/

Edited by ricktendo64

Thank you very much for all the information :)

I'll check all of them.

How about the other question? Sometimes the same file is listed twice:

sp3res.dll
sp3res.dll

Does it also have a specific function?

Edited by tomasz86

I checked the explanation given in

http://www.sokoolz.com/addons/r64/ADVANCED_INF.pdf

but I'm still not sure... What exactly will be the difference between the two strings

[CopyAlways.Cache.Files]

sp3res.dll,,,8

and

[CopyAlways.Cache.Files]

sp3res.dll

when installing a hotfix on a Windows 2000 system? Let's say that an older version of sp3res.dll is already present in system32 directory.

Edited by tomasz86

I think the default behavior (no flags) is to NOT copy the file if version is same or higher on disk (should show version conflict dialog saying: your file is older)

8 flag will force the copy of the file even if version is higher, will copy sp3res.dll to the folder with a temp name (you can specify but if you dont windows will generate a name) ????.tmp, then on reboot the file is replaced

Edit: I think I may be wrong about 8 overwriting newer file, that is what 4 does

So maybe 8 will also warn if file is newer on disk, it just waits to replace the file instead of doing it right that second

Edited by ricktendo64

So basically speaking

if I just want to have the hotfix install only files whose version is higher than those present in the system, is the best way to just remove all these ",,,8" flags?

I dont think 8 will replace newer file, I think no flags like 8 will also create a temp file if file is in use and replace on reboot, the 8 flag just tells it to "do the temp file thing" even if file is not in use

If you want to be sure, just do 8+32=40 but I dont think its needed

Edited by ricktendo64

Now I get it :)

If the 8 flag is present, the file will be replaced on reboot. If there is no flag and the file is not in use, then it'll be replaced immediately. If the file is in use the 8 flag does not make any difference.

Is it right? ;)

I see :)

but the result is that the file is replaced on reboot instead of being replaced instantly. That's what I'm trying to say :)

Is there any particular reason to set an 8 flag when installing a hotfix? Is it just to avoid system instability when replacing the files on a running system?

Maybe its done twice just in case if when the file is in use the no flag entry will not do the temp rename/replace, so just to be sure they add a duplicate section with the 8 flag

Who knows, it wont hurt either way

• 2 weeks later...