Help with error message please

JacobMiW

Hey guys! Hope you can help me out here. I would greatly appreciate it. I hope this is the right topic in the right forum! Apologies if it isn't.

LONG STORY!!! BEWARE!!!

I recently purchased a Dell XPS Studio 7100 for my future job. Because of this purchase, I decided to give my mom my old computer which is infinity times better than what she has (HP Pavillion something, single core).

Anyways.

Old computer:

Gateway 840GM w/ Vista. Mom doesn't like Vista, so I don't mind downgrading to XP for her.

Hard Drive:

My old hard drive crashed and hit the gutter, so about a year ago, I purchased a Western Digital Blue Caviar 500GB to replace the old one. Ran Vista on it, no problems since. Ran pretty fast.

The issue:

I'm getting that error:

" A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps: Check for viruses on your computer. Remove and newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:

Stop: 0x0000007B (0xF78DA63C, 0xC0000034, 0×00000000, 0×00000000)."

Now, I did my research and I understand that the Windows XP install CD (which comes with SP3 by the way, so I know I don't need to add the SP3 to the nLite) does not come with native SATA drivers.

During my research that has lasted over five hours now, I've come to the understanding that Intel/Gateway/Western Digital does NOT have a driver for this kind of situation.

The only solution that I could find is going into the BIOS and going into the DRIVE settings and change it to IDE or ADA (pardon me if I mistakened myself, I'm mentally exhausted). Except in this BIOS, it does NOT have the option to do this. So I'm screwed here.

The motherboard is: Big Lake and Putton Bay Motherboard BIOS. Version: PB94510J.15

I've updated the BIOS, it doesn't help. I updated the Intel chipset, and that didn't help. No Western Digital drivers for the Caviar Blue 500GB exists (as SATA drives don't need drivers, so again, I'm screwed here.)

PHEW. That's a lot of information, and again, I'm mentally exhausted and I'm using this forum as an absolute last resort.

I think I gave you all the information I have. If it helps, Gateway's drivers are listed here:

http://support.gateway.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?partNumber=5022

I guess what I'm asking for is:

1) Any files you can recommend that I download and add to nLite to make this work?

2) Any other addons to nLite to make Windows XP a minimal install with fast speed? In other words, get rid of that Messenger crap and stuff like that.

3) ANYTHING, ANYTHING would help to make this possible!!!

4) Should I just try to clone my mom's hard drive and put it on the Gateway? It seems to be more of a hassle that way and I would rather just do a clean install for her, but then again, even her hard drive on my old computer would make her computer even faster.

Thanks so much guys, if you can help at all, I would greatly appreciate it!!

-Jacob

I've come to the understanding that Intel/Gateway/Western Digital does NOT have a driver for this kind of situation
Oh, but Intel does! If you look at the nLite sub-forum (where this should have been posted) http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/89-nlite/ you will find two sticky topics with Intel and nVidia drivers that have been optimised for use with nLite. You will still need to choose the correct one. The driver support page you provided does not help much, so this is what you do

1. Either you download CPU-Z http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html and look at the Mainboard tab for more info OR

2. Open Device Manager, find the SATA controllers and tell us which they are

The ideal situation would be to do both, just to be on the safe side ;)

Welcome to MSFN

Thanks for the reply! I've must refreshed this page every 5 minutes in hopes of a fast reply!

I did download CPU-Z hours ago, which is how I identified my motherboard. So here goes:

Intel, model D945GBI (says AAC99325-202 next to it),same info for BIOS per my OP, I'll check out your suggestion and let you know in a while, hopefully,

Wow, so much information in that thread, so confused too. Can I just download all of them and put them on a new XP CD that I'll be making with nLite?

FYI, Device Manager says:

-3 ATA Channels, two are listed at 0, and one at 1.

-Intel ICH7 Family Ultra ATA Storage Controllers 27DF

Intel N10/ICH7 Family Serial ATA Storage Controller 27C0

From this information, it leads me to believe that I need to download this part:

a ) For Intel ICH7R/M, ICH8R/M, ICH9R/M, ICH10R/D or 5 Series S-ATA AHCI and RAID Controllers:

If you are going to install the 32bit version of Windows XP or Windows Server 2003, you will just need one of the following actual 32bit Intel textmode drivers:

Users, who know the Intel SATA Controller specification of their system, and owners of an SSD should download Intel's latest official 32bit RST driver v10.1.0.1008 dated 11/05/2010 from here:

>32bit Intel RST textmode driver v10.1.0.1008 WHQL<

Am I correct in assuming this? Thanks again!

Can I just download all of them and put them on a new XP CD that I'll be making with nLite?
No, nLite will only recognize the one that was integrated last, meaning they will overwrite each other.
Am I correct in assuming this?
Yes, you are; just get the Intel ICH7 driver and don't forget to add it in textmode (TXT), not PnP.

That should solve all your problems.

P.S. Another satisfied customer... :yes:

Edit: please take a moment to read the forum rules http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules and be specific when you give titles to your topics. That way you will attract the attention of members with a specific specialty.

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

Can I just download all of them and put them on a new XP CD that I'll be making with nLite?
No, nLite will only recognize the one that was integrated last, meaning they will overwrite each other.
Am I correct in assuming this?
Yes, you are; just get the Intel ICH7 driver and don't forget to add it in textmode (TXT), not PnP.

That should solve all your problems.

P.S. Another satisfied customer... :yes:

I'm sorry, I didn't quite understand. I have to pick a couple of the drivers out of the 15-20 that came with that RAR? Because I just tried it and it didn't work... Still BSOD :(

You're doing a fantastic job giving me help, but I'm a n00b at nLite, but everything else, I'm pretty much advanced with.

Thanks...... AGAIN :-/ I feel embarassed

I don't understand. Download this http://www.mediafire...r35hqm3qffyphk9

Inside are the following files:

- TXTSETUP.OEM

- iaAHCI.cat

- iaStor.cat

- iaAHCI.inf

- iaStor.inf

- iaStor.sys

Extract them to a simple location, example c:\drivers. Start nLite with a fresh copy of the XP CD and point nLite and integrate them in TXT mode. For info on TXT mode, look at this picture guide http://xdot.tk/nliteimages.html you need # 9-11.

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

I think I'm starting to understand better. I only added the four Intel ICH7 files and I got this error:

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.IO.IOException: Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError()

at System.IO.FileInfo.MoveTo(String destFileName)

at ..()

at ..(Object , EventArgs )

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnEnter(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.NotifyEnter()

at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.UpdateFocusedControl()

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4959 (win7RTMGDR.050727-4900)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

nLite

Assembly Version: 1.4.9.1

Win32 Version: 1.4.9.1

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/nLite/nLite.exe

System

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

nLite

Assembly Version: 1.4.9.1

System.Windows.Forms

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

nlgw

Assembly Version: 1.1.0.0

MCDBNET2

Assembly Version: 1.32.0.0

Win32 Version: 1.32.0.1302

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/nLite/MCDBNET2.DLL

msvcm80

Assembly Version: 8.0.50727.4927

Win32 Version: 8.00.50727.4927

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/WinSxS/x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4927_none_d08a205e442db5b5/msvcm80.dll

CabLib

Assembly Version: 9.7.0.0

Win32 Version: 9.7

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/nLite/CabLib.DLL

msvcm90

Assembly Version: 9.0.30729.1

Win32 Version: 9.00.30729.1

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/nLite/msvcm90.DLL

Accessibility

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I only added the four Intel ICH7 files
The package contains six. I just want to verify they were all in the folder and nLite took what was needed. As to the error log, it is common to attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini, which you can find inside the folder with the XP files (what is referred to as source) or in C:\Program Files\nLite\Presets. I'd also like to verify that every time you start nLite, you use a fresh source, i.e. a new copy from the XP CD. Otherwise, you will get many errors.

I only added the four Intel ICH7 files
The package contains six. I just want to verify they were all in the folder and nLite took what was needed. As to the error log, it is common to attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini, which you can find inside the folder with the XP files (what is referred to as source) or in C:\Program Files\nLite\Presets. I'd also like to verify that every time you start nLite, you use a fresh source, i.e. a new copy from the XP CD. Otherwise, you will get many errors.

I extracted the RAR file that we agreed that I should download, and when I used nLite to add drivers, the new folder which I extracted the RAR to shows up 15ish drivers, not the six files. It shows a whole bunch of drivers.

How do I make sure I'm using a fresh copy? Create a new folder for XP when I start the new copy? If so, I'll do that next time.

At this point, I'm considering just using Windows 7.

the new folder which I extracted the RAR to shows up 15ish drivers, not the six files
That's really strange, because I also downloaded the link from post #7. That's how I was able to tell you the names of the files.
How do I make sure I'm using a fresh copy? Create a new folder for XP when I start the new copy?

No, just delete everything from the folder and copy the XP CD in the same folder again.

Try the download from my post #7 again and please attach your Last Session.ini (post #10).

At this point, I'm considering just using Windows 7
You will still need to use SATA drivers, the only benefit being you can add them during install from a USB stick. You will also need to find the appropriate drivers for Windows 7, as the ones for XP won't work.