WinsxsLite does not work on Windows 7 - any solution?

mazxim

I'm looking to clean up some space on my Windows 7 SP1 (x64) partition. I know this script would be the right choice to do so (please not start to flaming about WHY I would like to recover these poor, as state from some Vista's user on the Net, 3GB or more of space... please, be patient! :) )

The script seems to work well until some point, but after it's finished to scanning process, it come up with a warning: "unable to find the file in C:\" ..

I followed the instructions as reported for the Vista environment...

Anyone have some clues of what would be necessary to change in the script for Windows 7 environment? Unfortunally I don't find the author contact on the net and I can't ask directly to him. I did have a look for some time around, but stiil nothing!

If you want I might attach a 7zipped file with the script and the related components.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking to clean up some space on my Windows 7 SP1 (x64) partition.

Hi mazxim:

The winsxs folder grows more and more every time Windows installs patches and updates, and this is a permanent process. Many of them are not thought for your personal needs , so the best means to keep constant the OS dimension is to examine them when offered by Microsoft and install only the needed ones.

You may delete the Windows\winsxs\Backup subfolder, not forgetting to recreate it afterwards whenever you wish to install any really needed patch/update.

HTH

PS: Edited for a better understanding.

Greetings.

Edited by cannie