Blu-ray under Windows 98

Multibooter

I have returned the LG BH12LS35 Blu-ray burner http://www.lg.com/us/computer-products/optical-media/LG-blu-ray-BH12LS35.jsp which I had bought at a sale for $89+tax. Here my reasons:

1) burn quality/media compatibility: it did not burn my Panasonic, Verbatim and PHILIP-R04-000 (Kodak/Polaroid) BD-Rs properly. Nero CD-DVD Speed v4.7.7.15 indicated a Disc Quality of 0/100.

2) The LG Blu-ray burner has issues with Nero v7.2.7.0 under Win98 and with Nero v7.11.10.0c [last build of v7] under WinXP: both Nero 7 versions display a selection of only 1x write speed with this burner, even if the burner does not have a firmware setting for 1x, only for 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x write speeds. No idea how Nero 7 made the LG burner burn at 1x, this shouldn't be possible since the firmware write speeds are indicated by ImgBurn as "2x, 4x, 6x, 8x". ImgBurn has the correct write speed selection "2x, 4x, 6x, 8x" for burning and burns Ok with the LG Blu-ray burner, but also at the burn quality 0/100. The LiteOn and Memorex Blu-ray burners had the correct write speed selection with Nero v7.2.7.0 under Win98 and with Nero v7.11.10 under WinXP, and burnt @2x

With Nero v7.11.10 under WinXP, the LG Blu-ray burner was indeed burning at 1x, the actual time for burning the BD-R test-disk was about twice as long as burning at 2x with ImgBurn with the LiteOn/Memorex Blu-ray burners.

With Nero v7.2.7.0 under Win98, the burn process broke off twice after about 1/3 complete (12 out of 40 minutes), with the msg: "Write Error. Invalid field command. Could not perform end of Disc-at-once. Burn process failed." Nero then hung, I had to reboot. When I repeated the test, I got another BD-R coaster, with the same message as before, also at 12 out of 40 minutes complete. Again, Nero v7.2.7.0 works Ok with the LiteOn Blu-ray burner.

3) Nero CD-DVD Speed v4.7.7.15 cannot measure the Disc Quality with the LG Blu-ray burner. With the LiteOn Blu-ray burner, in contrast, Nero CD-DVD Speed can measure the Disc Quality.

4) LG seems to provide fewer firmware updates. www.firmwarehq.com does not have a firmware update for the LG BH12LS35 http://www.firmwarehq.com/LG/drives.html . Here 2 examples of makes with frequent firmware updates, i.e. good ongoing support: Pioneer http://pioneer.jp/device_e/product-e/ibs/device_e/dev00002r_e.html#bdr_s03 or LiteOn http://www.firmwarehq.com/Lite-On/iHBS212%2B2/files.html Regular firmware updates are essential for compatibility/burn quality with new Blu-ray media.

Edited by Multibooter

I have returned the LiteOn iHBS212 Blu-ray burner. Not because I was unhappy with it, but because I have doubts whether current Blu-ray media is suitable as long-term storage media.

During my testing I have burnt 36 Blu-ray BD-R disks and 1 BD-RE disk (Panasonic, made in Japan) with the same 10GB data files, under Win98 and WinXP, with 4 different Blu-ray burners, using 4 different makes of BD-R media and 3 different programs for burning.

I have "measured" the "disc quality" (=burn quality) with Nero CD-DVD Speed v4.7.7.15 and with Nero DiscSpeed v5.4.24.100. Right after burning, with the better media, disc quality was around 60/100. When I repeated the disc quality test after 2 weeks, however, 35 out of 36 disks had a disc quality score of 0/100, a single BD-R disk had still the disk quality score 8/100. When I repeated the disk quality test with that 8/100 disk 12 hours later, its quality score had fallen also to 0/100. Disk quality of Blu-ray BD-R and BD-RE disks seems to decline rapidly after burning. I plan to check periodically to find out whether and when data loss has actually occurred on these 36 Blu-ray disks.

There is the possibility that the Quality scores of Nero CD-DVD Speed v4.7.7.15 and Nero DiscSpeed v5.4.24.100 are incorrect for Blu-ray media. When testing Blu-ray media, values are displayed under 2 differently named headings "LDC" and "BIS", instead of "C1 Errors" and "C2 Errors", as for CDs and DVDs.

I ran a "Disc Scan" with Nero CD-DVD Speed v4.7.7.15 on the 2 BD-R disks with the worst values (LDC: Avg 223.18, Max 1530 and BIS: Avg 4.48, Max 32), and the 2 "bad" disks were perfectly readable, all green, which seems to contradict the "Disc Quality" scores. Over the years, however, I have fared well trusting the disk quality scores of Nero CD-DVD Speed of burnt CDs and DVDs.

I was unable to get to work on my desktop the only other program I know of which can measure Blu-ray burn quality, Opti Drive Control, also by Erik Deppe. There was no response to my posting #245 for help at club.myce.com a week ago http://club.myce.com/f96/opti-drive-control-erik-deppe-274820/index9.html#post2523530 [link doesn't work as intended, it's posting #245]

Edited by Multibooter