Adding network driver into winPE 3.0 Image! (urgent)

vishyc88

Hi friends,

How do i inject a network driver into winPE so that i can make some of the new systems on my network to work? I face this problem when i try to fire up windows 7 installation from WInPE 3.0 over the network. Now the problem is, because the PE image is unable to provide the required network driver, the installation fails to start!

This is what i have done so far using WAIK, but I have failed to get it to work:

>copype.cmd x86 c:\winpe 
>dism /mount-wim /wimfile:c:\winpe\winpe.wim /index:1 /mountdir:c:\winpe\mount
>dism /image:c:\winpe\mount /add-driver /driver:c:\drivers
>dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:c:\winpe\mount /commit
>copy c:\winpe\winpe.wim c:\winpe\iso\sources\boot.wim
>oscdimg –n –bc:\winpe\etfsboot.com c:\winpe\iso c:\winpe\winpe.iso

Is there anything additional i should do ?

Please help!

Edited by vishyc88

I may be wrong, but it seems like you are trying to add multiple drivers that reside in subfolders of the C:\drivers folder. To add all of the drivers in the subfolders, you have to add the switch to recurse through the subfolders. Your command line should look like this:

dism /image:c:\winpe\mount /add-driver /driver:c:\drivers /Recurse

Let me know if that works.

Edited by Echo_Platoon

Thanks for the reply echo!

The /Recurse wouldnt make any difference here because there are no subdirectories! What i have done is, Ive extracted the files from the EXE setup file from Intel into a folder and i believe it contains all the necessary inf, sys files etc. So i reckon its something else!?!

Did you checked the inf to see if there was a directory tree ? Sometimes you need to create the tree that is made during the setup or modify the inf file.

Edited by allen2

But when I use the "/drivers" option, It tells me that its adding drivers. I thought dism is capable of adding multiple drivers from a directory! And i even read about this is in Technet. Ok Let me me just try out your suggestion Trip.

• 7 months later...

Hi guys,

I had the same problem, you might mount a wrong image, please try to get your boot.wim information first then mount the appropriate image.

imagex /info your_boot.wim_path

and find which is your boot index, mine is 2, so if you situation likes mine, you should do following command:

dism /mount-wim /wimfile:c:\winpe\winpe.wim /index:2 /mountdir:c:\winpe\mount

hope it can help you!