accessing *data* files stored on DVD-ROM

Ninho

Hullo dear MSFN forum members ! This will look like a noob's question, which it is indeed - I have little to no experience with (relatively) new media formats such as the DVD-ROM. OS is Windows 2000 Pro SP4.

////Update: Problem SOLVED :=) Please read down thread for full info. ////

Have a (commercial, legally owned, pressed) DVD-ROM featuring a Wajda movie ; I am able to watch the movie alright in VLC player, though we prefer to watch it comfortably on the TV set ! But this DVD media contains a data file (a filmography) as an extra, which neither Windows 2000 (Explorer) nor the media player (VLC) see! The separate DVD player in the living room can't show it, either :-(

I understand, and in fact I checked positively, that Windows XP natively *does* add the data file to the file system, and shows it under the DVD's "letter". Is there an addon for Win 2k to acquire the same or similar ability ? I guess Microsoft did not add full DVD support to Windows 2000 in order to further the sales of (then new) Windows XP. Whatever... I could take some help!

Edited by Ninho

Odd, with W2k, my MDP-130 and DVD43 I have the opposite problem, keeping such little buggers from launching, unless launched from the DVD menu,

after which the 'digital' copy or extra writes itself to the HDD, usually to a folder I don't want it in.

Odd, with W2k, my MDP-130 and DVD43 I have the opposite problem, keeping such little buggers from launching, unless launched from the DVD menu,

after which the 'digital' copy or extra writes itself to the HDD, usually to a folder I don't want it in.

Can't you use the Shift trick at disc insertion in that case? Of course learning to do it properly without triggering filter keys is another story. :D

Odd, with W2k, my MDP-130 and DVD43 I have the opposite problem...

I guess you have installed some 3rd party software including drivers with that hardware. Is it not DVD-RAM you have there ?

I'm speaking DVD-ROM reader (no burner here!). I haven't researched elsewhere, since I thought MSFN would be where I would get

the immediate and best possible answer to my question :=) ... but I think what's missing from Win 2k is the file system driver.

(Not sure if this is what they call the *UDF* ?).

How would I go adding the required file system (and/or further type of) needed drivers so Windows can see files on DVD ROMs ?

(No problems for files on CD-ROM of course, it's only with the DVD-ROM that Windows 2k cannot see files, only plays recorded media).

Help, please, gents !

Problem (or PEBKAC?) resolved :=)

I was mistaken : Windows 2000 with SP4 (and no media specific update or add-on) can indeed access data files stored on DVD-Video media.

How was I mistaken ? Double-clicking on the drive's icon in "My Computer" I intended to "open" the file system, instead popped up a message telling :

- No Windows 2000 compatible DVD decoder is installed on this system. Either a hardware or a software DVD decoder is required to be able to read movies (etc.)

This message was misleading me : since I have had zero problems in "reading movies" (using the VLC media player), I interpreted the message as telling Windows cannot show the data files, and did not "dig" further. Whereas I am gathering now, this message was informing me that Windows 2000 does not natively reads DVD videos (is this interpretation right ?)

In any case, the data files stored on the DVD video alongside the video itself are accessed easily after, not double clicking, but right clicking the DVD drive icon in My Computer and choosing explore or open. The mistake ultimately came from the default action being read, which it can't !!!! rather than one of open or explore. Go figure, MS !

Problem solved hence, and sorry for bothering you (but hope it may help others after me...)

Edited by Ninho