Constant gdiplus.dll crashes

kahlil88

Trying to fix my mom's laptop. The problem started with Microsoft Security Essentials crashing (never once saw the main window) and the error report revealed it was because of gdiplus.dll (which is part of DotNet last time I checked, please correct if I'm mistaken). I've tried re-registering the DLL (regsvr32 gdiplus.dll) but it gives me an error (...was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found). I ran system file checker twice, completely uninstalled .Net v2.0/3.5/4.0 and rebooted. Now in the process of re-installing them all, starting with .NET v2 which didn't ask me to restart, and the test program still crashes (of course the details showed gdiplus.dll). Nothing shows up on Windows Update, even after flushing the cache with Dial-a-Fix. I'm at my wit's end and would like these crashes to stop.

The file is not related to dotNET. But you could try reinstalling the latest security update for that file (KB958869). Be sure to use the /o switch on the EXE to force file replacement. And restart afterward to ensure immediate replacement.

Edited by 5eraph

The file is not related to dotNET. But you could try reinstalling the latest security update for that file (KB958869). Be sure to use the /o switch on the EXE to force file replacement. And restart afterward to ensure immediate replacement.

Installed the security update with overwrite option but I'm still getting gdiplus.dll crashes. Going to resume re-installing the .NET stuff. Are you certain it's not related? As far as I can tell, the only programs that seem to crash are dependent on .NET

Edited by kahlil88

I'm pretty sure it's not related to dotNET.

Windows GDI+ is a class-based API for C/C++ programmers. [...] Gdiplus.dll is included with Windows XP.
About GDI+

Windows GDI+ is the portion of the Windows XP operating system or Windows Server 2003 operating system that provides two-dimensional vector graphics, imaging, and typography. GDI+ improves on Windows Graphics Device Interface (GDI) (the graphics device interface included with earlier versions of Windows) by adding new features and by optimizing existing features.

As stated above, it is an integral part of the operating system and not installed by dotNET. While dotNET v1.0 is included on XP CDs, it can only be installed through the CD menu (except for XP Media Center Edition which requires it and installs it automatically).

I can only guess that dotNET is causing the issue somehow. Do you have any more information about the error from the report?

BTW, to save yourself some time, you can start with v3.5 (which includes v2.0 and v3.0), then install v4.0 if necessary. ;)

Edited by 5eraph

Apparently this problem is sometimes caused by bad fonts, but I don't really want to go randomly deleting fonts hoping this problem will go away. Repair install didn't fix it, updated the video driver, removed the .NET frameworks again and ran WSUS Offline Update...really running out of ideas.

Edited by kahlil88

• 1 year later...