Server platform for small home business

drscouse

Although Ive been using WHS for the past couple of years... Ive outgrown its basic functionality. Now im running a small business from home, I want myself, and a couple of other users to be able to access the server and use office applications, especially outlook via web or remoteapp access. I know there are several addins that will allow you to launch apps from the dashboard, but these are under the admin account only. Ive been playing around with vail, and while I love the remote web access, I still want to be able to use the server as an applicaiton server.

Ive been told to do this, I need to have a terminal server... I kow SBS2011 essentials comes with a 25 user capability, and 2k8r2 comes with 5 CALS... but would I be able to do what I want with either of these? Id thought SVS essentials would have bridged the gap between WHS and business server, but it seems nothing more than WHS with more user access, and no media streaming.. so Im not too sure what a small business would actually do with it!!!

I would just like someone to tell me what are the basic requirements to achieve what Im after....

Thanks

SBS will create an Active Directory domain in your house! Do you have a need for this?

You may be wanting to use something like Sharepoint Server, but honestly, even that may be too much.

Also before you attempt to put a server in your home (if you are in the US) make sure you do not have a residential account for your ISP. Reason being, most ISP has running a server on residential service account is against TOC. You can lose your service, but if you do not know which to do, call them and ask what options you can have.