Annoying Windows Partition Cannot Delete

andwan0

I have 3 partitions sized at 30GB, 30GB, and 405GB.

My first partition has Windows XP installed. The other two are just for backup/archival purposes. One day I booted up in BartPE (Windows Pre-installed Environment) and copied my entire C:\Windows to D:\Windows. I did this for experiemental purposes to compare dll file changes on service pack updates. Anyway, Now I want to delete D:\Windows and it won't let me. It says it's in use. I've tried using Unlocker but that doesn't help. So I reformatted C:\ and reinstalled vanilla Windows XP. That doesn't work, because somehow D: is the System partition, while C: is the Boot partition (according to Computer Management, Disk Management).

How to sort this out?

I've already nicely setup my C:\ with all my program installations.

I notice the boot.ini NTDETECT.COM & ntldr are located in D:\ rather than C:\

boot.ini reads that it boots Windows from 3rd partition... so that means D:\ is seen as the first partition....

boot.ini reads that it boots Windows from 3rd partition... so that means D:\ is seen as the first partition....

I don't know how you come to that conclusion. :blink: Anyway "the 1st partition is seen as D:" is a more correct statement (if true).

Probably because the 2nd is active and seen as C: and contains your Windows installation. That should have been clear at Windows (re)installation. Now you see why you can't just delete it you need to change your goal.

Stating the exact partitionning would get you more help (order, letter; active status). Maybe post a printscreen of Disk Management?